craigslist - should i buy this?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rust.puppet, Jul 30, 2009.

1. rust.puppet macrumors regular

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/sys/1294703845.html

ive been looking foreward to buying the 13" mb alu since this time last year and now that they have the mbp out and whatnot and i dont have the money still i figured id check out craigslist for the first time. do you guys think this is for real? also is that model going to meet my needs still? (video editing, photoshop, light gaming, youtube, ect.)

it just seems too good to be true so i wanted opinions while i wait for a response from them.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

scam or stolen, avoid that.
    too good to be true.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Haha. If this was a real computer, the warranty would last until at least June 2010, unless there's some 10-month warranty I'm not aware of...

4. nick1221 macrumors newbie

stick with buying straight from apple or an authorized reseller.
    also...where do i make a new post?

5. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I would e-mail the guy first, you would never know unless you try right??

some people are actually in need of money these days, my sister bought a macbook not too long ago, and it's $475-500 i believe, I was with her, when we did all the transaction and stuff.

So if you email it, and if a real person e-mailed back. then you might be good to go

One more tip, bring 2 or a person with you, when you're doing craigslist stuff.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If it's the real deal, at that price, chances are it's already sold.

7. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

seems way too good to be true. The warranty information being off puts up a red flag too.

8. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I'm always wary of ads without pics. If you e-mail this guy and get a reply that says "Thanks for your interest. I am willing to ship this item..." or anything like that, then run!

Only buy things from craigslist in person and make sure you check out the item before you fork over the money.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The inclusion of freely installed copies of Photoshop and MS Office are also signal a scam.

Avoid.

10. JJP9398 macrumors member

I seen the same add on the Kansas City Craigslist. Hmmmm...To good to be true, I think its a scam of some kind.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Chances are you are going to get a reply from someone whose name starts with A (like Amy, Amanda, or Andrew; it's always an 'a' name, don't ask me why) who will claim to be from your city, but just happens to be in Manchester, UK (again, don't ask me why). They'll offer to ship it to you with a fool proof way to receive the money, etc....THIS IS A SCAM.

If you buy such a machine from an ad, you may as well fly to the nearest large city and give your money to the first Nigerian you see; it will save you a lot of time and aggravation.

12. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

If it's an aluminum MacBook, then your sister's machine was likely stolen as well. If it's an older whiteBook, then $500 for her machine isn't unrealistic.

However, the ad in question is for an aluminum MacBook Pro, and there is NO WAY that any legitimate seller would liquidate it to strangers for $450! Even if the seller were desperately in need of cash, he/she could still list for much more and sell it within a day or two.

This is either a foreign scam or stolen merchandise. You would have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.

13. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Scam for sure... the same post was up on CL here in Oklahoma about three days ago...

14. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

My sister's macbook was the whiteBook and we bought it for $500, I have a friend over at apple's tech support, we matched the owner who was named under the macbook, and both the seller and the guy who owned this macbook is truly him, same guy, so it can't be a steal. There was no one else who used the whiteBook except for my sister.

I guess what you are saying IS true a UB MacBook that's selling for $450 yeah i guess i'd call it a scam... too good to be true, anyways has anyone actually e-mailed the person/bot?/scammer?

EDIT: what a real scammer
    found a link to DC's MACBOOK PRO which is identical to the one for Ohio
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/1298310573.html

15. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

scam, you could sell a ub mackbook for £900 here in the uk in about a second, avoid.

16. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

The same ad appeared recently in Tucson, AZ craigslist... scam.

17. razor-sex macrumors member

I am selling my macbook white early 2008 on craiglist and had no offers probz because of ppl like this selling products they dont have. :mad:

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm sure the present sorry state of the economy or people dumping older models to buy the new 13" mbps doesn't have anything to do with that...:rolleyes:

19. JustLikeYou macrumors member

Yeah, you've probably already figured this out, but that's a scam, hah.

What also is ticking me off about craigslist is people stealing text for fraudulent listings. I visited craigslist to see what other apple listings were going for, and noticed that not long after mine, someone copied and pasted the text from my listing, adding in a few words here and there and changing the contact e-mail and listing with no pictures at an insanely low price... but that kind of frustrated me... it made me think "well what if someone reads mine and thinks it's a scam?" even though mine had pictures... still ticked me off.

20. rust.puppet thread starter macrumors regular

you hit it right on the head, amanda from manchester with a full proof plan. sucks though because now i have to wait another atleast 2 months. :( and pay full price.

21. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

So you paid?

How Western Union?

I guess you never saw the p-p-p powerbook thread? About a scam artist in London that was a buyer, trying to scam the seller. And the scammer got screwed. And there was a Macrumors forum member there to photographic the event.

Anything that sounds too good to be true usually is.

Update please :)

22. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Where did you get the impression that the OP paid? My guess is that they contacted the seller to get details and realised at that point that the seller is trying the typical scam.

OP, good on you for staying away, and for heeding the advice offered here.

23. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

A few thing I do to show others that my ad is not a scam -
    - take photos of your item with your email or phone number written on a piece on paper
    - list the main intersection of where you are located (not just the city)
    - specify "local, in person deal and cash only"

Scammers can never match that.

24. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

now now, though in general, the idea holds true, just because its too good to be true doesn't ALWAYS mean that it is. I got a first generation iphone with AppleCare for $160 off of craigslist!

As long as you deal locally and are able to see the item upfront before payment, I'd say its worth a shot.

25. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

not to mention, he says that COSMETICALLY the computer is in good shape, what does that mean as far as the internal???

Scam scam scam.. ive seen a few adds like that before in the Birmingham area.:eek: