Craigslist wants me to make an account?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Theclamshell, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Hey everyone,

I was trying to post some stuff on craigslist and its saying i need to have an account?!? Ok, no big deal, i will sign up and maybe an account will make things easier. But then they want my phone number to make sure i am not a spam poster? This is ridiculous. I don't want to post too much yet because i don't want to look like an idiot if this is a mistake but this is really upsetting.

What made craigslist great was that people could easily post ads but now i fear people will post less due to this "account verification" junk.

Is anyone else getting prompted to create an account?

Note: I was trying to post in the computer section and the car section (by owner for the cars)

Attached Files:

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Maybe you'll be able to delete the phone details after you complete the sign-up.

3. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

I've had an account for years now, so my memory is fuzzy. I believe that they did have some kind of verification system when I tried to post in certain categories once. Check the URL, it might give a clue as to whether it's real or not.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't recall what I had to do but I use my google voice # for that. Why not use any old number?
    In my life the one dude who asked for my number was given the number for pizza hut in Santa clarita. Try something similar. :D

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Probably because of some recent changes at Craigslist. They've made some safety changes recently to protect consumers after all that **** with the Craigslist killer.