Craigslist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by universal, Jan 20, 2010.

1. universal macrumors newbie

Hey.

I'm buying a slightly used macbook pro on craigslist and i'm meeting with the guy tomorrow for the exchange. I was wondering what the normal form of payment is with these types of transactions. I don't want to just go with $2000 in my pocket and get jacked, but I feel like if I was him i would be weary of a check. What is your advise.

Also is $2000 a good deal for a slightly used 15" 2.8ghz unibody with 4gb ram and a 128gb solid state?

thanks

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

only deal with cash

i have bought and sold motorcycles with cash (excess of 4000 each transaction)

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

meet in a very public place and be sure to test everything out.
    That new mbp runs 2499 new from Apple.

4. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I don't think "test everything out" like old-wiz said can be stressed enough. There are a lot of scams, but also a lot of legit deals you can find on CL. If the seller says the battery's dead, find somewhere to plug it in. Always meet up in a nicely populated place. All the stuff they put on there to keep the users safe shouldn't be taken lightly.

Anything you'd use if it was yours, test it. Take a USB device and/or CD/DVD to make sure they work how they should, and again, if there's some excuse why he can't demo it, don't buy it. Don't let them go back to their car with it or anything. Just do a search on these forums and you can see all kinds of scams that are ran.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

price wise, the only thing special on that is the SSD.

$1999 would get you that same MBP but with a 500 gig drive -- plus full warranty

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB986LL/A?mco=MTA4MzQ4NjU

does a $300 128 gig SSD = a $100 500 gig SATA drive size for the price wise? well, I guess only you can answer that...

6. dankybear macrumors regular

meet at a bank during the day, that is not a good deal at all.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think it's such a great deal.

When is the original purchase date?

Too many variables for that amount of money.

Just buy it from the refurb section in the Apple Store, and add the SSD later on.

8. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You could always go with a cashier's check. That's what I would do. The price seems reasonable. However, I suggest throughly checking the MBP before you complete the transaction.

Good luck,

Habitus :apple:

9. Surely Guest

Surely

If I were the seller, I wouldn't accept a cashiers check. It could be a fake and it could be cancelled after the trade is made. Cash is the only way I'd sell something in craigslist.

All The Best,

Surely :apple:

10. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

So true, but he's talking to the buyer, not the seller:)

How do you know the cash isn't fake too :D

11. Paul B macrumors 6502

I think you should keep looking. People will often list stuff on craigslist at less than market value because they don't like the hassle of listing it on eBay, shipping it out, then transferring the PayPal money into their bank account. You do need to do some legwork (sending emails out, getting pictures, making offers, arranging the meetup) but you can get a much better deal with a little patience.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

No, he's the buyer. Read the OP:

13. universal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all of your feedback. I ended up making the transaction today. I think I got a very good deal. I got him down to $1700 for the 2.8ghz laptop with 128gb ssd + 2yr. applecare and it's only few months old. He also through in a hard case and a form fitting case and the original box with the operating system and stock apps (even came with the apple stickers. I'm happy with the purchase. Lightning fast machine.

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I realize you already bought the computer, but for anyone else considering a similar transaction I would recommend getting the serial number from the owner before purchase so you can check the specs on Apple's support page to confirm the specs you are being told online, but also to run the serial # through the Powermax.com database of stolen computers. Just to ensure you're getting the right machine and also that the computer isn't hot.

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

$1700 with two years applecare and ssd sounds like a good deal to me. its 25% below refurb. congratulations.

in general i would meet at my bank with the guy, check everything out, withdraw the money and pay. that is the safest way to do it.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Hey, that's a very good deal. Congrats!

For $1,700 I would have done it too, but not for $2,000.

Where did you do the deal? Did you go with a cash transaction? Did you bargain with him over the phone before you met, or once you tried out the machine?

17. universal thread starter macrumors newbie

Met at a gelsons market. I worked out the price over the phone. Told him 1700 was all i had and didn't budge.