Cranking/Clicking CD drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lindsayanng, May 8, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Hi there. I have been having some ongoing issues with my macbook pro. We bought it two years ago and have been SOO happy with it. HOWEVER the day we opened it, the CD drive made a weird noise. It was like a light clicking. It still read the cds and we just thought it was something somewhat normal since it was just out of the box. We did call apple care (we do have a warranty) and they said that what we described MIGHT be normal, but bring it in if we had any issues with it actually loading the CDs.

Well, since purchased this, we put ALL of our CDs on to iTunes, and then never used the CD drive again. Its been two years, and i went to re-install iMovie because my husband deleted it on me and its CRANKING now> its WAY more than a click and it just pulls in the CD, reads it long enough to get the CD's documents on the page and then spits it back out. Now it wont even read it. At this point it sucks it in and spits it out.

We are going to bring it to an apple repair store but i was curious if anyone had an issue like this???

2. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

can anyone give me some info on this?? ever have it happen before?

3. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

The original noise you heard was normal. Now that it is cranking it does seem that the drive is failing and it needs to go in for repair.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Is it possible the drive is mis-seated and the innards got dirty?

5. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Hmmm. i cant belive that sound is NORMAL. its such a bad sound. I am not sure how to go about seeing if the drive is sitting correctly. It does not suck the CD into the drive until i push it in pretty far.