Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoughtAAPL@4.00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2007
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Was upgrading the HD to 7200 RPM and the RAM to 4 GB (successful), but when I unplugged the hard drive temperature sensor cable, the connector that you plug into the circuit board broke. It is currently impossible to put the wires back on the pins in the socket (which is, luckily, still intact). The computer works, but the fan runs fill tilt. Have edited the AppleFan.kext in the meantime to tone that down, but I need to fix this.

I see that replacements are available for the previous generation; anyone have both an old one and a new one want to take a look and tell me if they think it would work? Or does anyone know where I can buy that connector so I can simply solder the cable onto a replacement one?

The Apple Authorized Repair center I was referred to by the Apple Store says that the cable is not available as a separate part and to get one you have to buy a whole replacement drive (the stock 120 GB 5400 drive identical to the one I removed ) at a cost of (get this) $185!

Yeeesh.

The old model part (Apple P/N 922-7319) is for sale at several places such as http://www.welovemacs.com/9227319.html and http://www.applepalace.com/apple-ma...able-w-thermal-sensor-hard-drive-922-7319.asp

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you don't want to spend the money, put your computer back to stock and take it the store and complain that your fan won't stop.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
How did you break it?

This connector actually comes straight up, you don't pull it out horizontally like some of the older connectors. Easiest way is to try and get underneath it with a really small flat head screwdriver and pry it straight up...

Actually what I do that seems to also work is grab a pair of small forceps/tweezers and get on top and underneath the wires as close to the connector as possible, and then lift straight up. The connector isn't very hard to remove, so it doesn't take much force at all.

I know, that doesn't help you now...

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
If you don't want to spend the money, put your computer back to stock and take it the store and complain that your fan won't stop.

You could do that, but there is a good chance Apple will open up your computer and then notice that there was no way that, that could of broken without being tampered with.

I would at least give it a shot though.

BoughtAAPL@4.00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2007
I assume from the followup post that instead of pulling on the wires in the plane of the board, you pry under it it parallel to the board surface and pop the connector up and out perpendicularly to the board. Water under that bridge, alas. A learning experience; hopefully this thread helps others avoid the same fate.

Apple Repair insisted on getting the S/N, so even if I were prone to lie about things, that request might be logged in their system.

It's an annoyance, but a significant one as I am planning to use this as a server and want to have the fan work normally/correctly. Luckily, I haven't damaged the board (yet), so it's just a matter of engineering some way of connecting wires to the pins. It would be really nice if there is some other piece of equipment that has an identical connector I could cannibalize. Gone are the days when you could walk into Radio Shack and find something like that!

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Yep, you described it exactly.

Good luck on your parts search. BTW, I think you just voided your warranty on that Mac Mini. :(

BoughtAAPL@4.00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2007
As much as I love Apple, it's kind of absurd how they went out of their way to make the mini user-unserviceable with the whole putty-knife case thing.

No luck with the retailers - they have no info from Apple. After looking at teardown info on the old style and new, it looks like the old mini connector had the wires perpendicular rather than parallel to the board, so that's probably a different connector.

Did look around iFixit and noted that they have a number of other (used) thermal sensors for MacBooks etc. http://www.ifixit.com/search?query=thermal+sensor. Gave them a call and they said they look like they might be close, but are different.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
They are close, but slightly different. http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts...-GHz-Core-2-Duo-Left-Thermal-Sensor/IF185-083

See that little notch on the top? I bet if you file that down it would work.

I have a broken SR 2.4ghz MBP here and I tested it a few minutes ago. It looks like if I filed down that tip, it would fit in perfect. But I don't want to do that to mine, incase I need this for another MBP. :)

For 10 bucks, I say buy it and try it. I bet it will work if you file or just clip that tip off with some wire snips.

Oh and you'd have to put longer wires on or just solder those wires to the wires on the sensor you have now, as that sensor wire is too short to reach the front of the HD. Unless you don't care about reaching the front, then you're probably fine.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Can you post a picture of what broke? You can't solder or glue it back on?

f2uLHYmdDi3yGjSB.large

vyYMQXTnBeCkPiuv.large

BoughtAAPL@4.00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2007
OK, I ordered the part from iFixit. Thanks.

We'll see if it can fit with some appropriate modification!

BoughtAAPL@4.00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Can you post a picture of what broke? You can't solder or glue it back on?

That little gray thingie on the end of the wire in the picture you showed (except mine was black). The plastic is now gone, so I have two wires, one attached to a gold-plated female-like connector which fits over the pin on the board (but not very well, of course). On the other wire the connector bent and it snapped off when I tried to straighten it.

I put the good connector back onto the pin and put a dab 'o hot glue to hold it in place...the other wire lead I can only sorta place against the circuit board pin and pray for contact. When I hot glued that on, it didn't seem to make any difference in fan, which runs at top speed.

Keep in mind this whole thing is maybe 3-4 mm on a side and it is almost impossible to focus your eyes on this while working!

BoughtAAPL@4.00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Fixed!

The HD temperature sensor cable from the MacBook arrived today. It fits into the mini's socket pretty well without removing the little nib and the fan is now running slowly and quietly at 1500 rpm instead of 5500 rpm.

The cable is considerably shorter than the mini's. So I will either live with that or cut and splice the wires to the old sensor (keeping far away from either end!!). I better decide before I close this thing up!

A big thanks and virtual 6-pack to tobyg for checking on how close the MacBook's and mini's connectors were in size/shape. That sucker is exactly 3 mm wide.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Yeah, I mentioned the length being an issue.

If you keep the sensor closer to the back, it's likely it will keep your mac even cooler as it will generally be warmer towards the CPU anyway. If you put it back in the front, that air is the coldest air coming into the mini from the vents in the bottom front of the mini, so the rest of the mini will probably stay warmer.

I don't see much harm in keeping it closer, other than possibly more fan noise as it will try to keep the mac cooler than normal.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs

Sorry, but this strikes me as pretty dishonest. Apple's customer service is already so good, and they bend over backwards to help. Why abuse it and ruin it for everyone else?

As far as breaking the cable, this is why I'm not a fan of screwing around with opening up the Mini with wall repair tools, and doing a self upgrade. Even if successful, it's going to be questioned by Apple if ever needing to send it in for service or repair. And if something ever doesn't seem to work right after a self upgrade, it's always going to haunt you if it was something you did.

james1078b

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Same issue + AC Rep responce

Sorry, but this strikes me as pretty dishonest. Apple's customer service is already so good, and they bend over backwards to help. Why abuse it and ruin it for everyone else?

As far as breaking the cable, this is why I'm not a fan of screwing around with opening up the Mini with wall repair tools, and doing a self upgrade. Even if successful, it's going to be questioned by Apple if ever needing to send it in for service or repair. And if something ever doesn't seem to work right after a self upgrade, it's always going to haunt you if it was something you did.

I have this exact same problem with my Mini. When I spoke to the Apple Care rep, he actually TOLD me to put the original HD back in, then take it to my nearest APPLE auth service center (nearest Apple Store is 2 hours away:(). I have a few issues with doing this as it is not an Apple defect (just bad design:eek:). I think I will try that iFixit sensor first. maybe splice the minis sensor onto the new connector.:D Glad to heard that that connector worked for you!!!!

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009

Yeah, there has to be something wrong with using the same tools Apple techs use to open a Mini. Breaking the cable had to do with carelessness of the OP and not understanding how to remove sensitive cables like the one that was broken. Can someone say spudger?

If you are too scared to open a Mini, that is fine, but don't suggest that it is never a good idea. I will agree though, if you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it since you won't know how to fix it if something goes wrong.

EDIT: I realize this is an old thread, but I didn't bump it!

Prontius

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
UK
The HD temperature sensor cable from the MacBook arrived today. It fits into the mini's socket pretty well without removing the little nib and the fan is now running slowly and quietly at 1500 rpm instead of 5500 rpm.

The cable is considerably shorter than the mini's. So I will either live with that or cut and splice the wires to the old sensor (keeping far away from either end!!). I better decide before I close this thing up!

A big thanks and virtual 6-pack to tobyg for checking on how close the MacBook's and mini's connectors were in size/shape. That sucker is exactly 3 mm wide.

Hey dude, I have exactly the same problem with my mini and am about to buy a new termal sensor cable, which model of cable exactly did you buy and where did you end up mounting it? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.