CRAP! I lost my Visual Voicemail!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Aug 17, 2009.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I really could use some help here.. I installed the new carrier file that was supposed to enable MMS and Tethering a few months ago (When it came out). When i did it, i wasnt able to get MMS (although i had the options) and I never really had time to mess with the tethering.. got a little busy

Everything worked fine on the phone.. the visual voicemail was working as it always had with no issues for almost two months.. then, all of a sudden one week ago my voicemail stops working

When i get a call, it goes to voicemail and theres a screen on the voicemail app saying that Visual Voicemail is not available please call your voicemail..

So i went into the network settings and tried to reset the settings, but that didnt work, it just make the carrier settings blank.. which doing so didnt really CHANGE anything.. i just still dont have visual voicemail

So basically my question is.. what in the world do i do?? I really would rather NOT do a factor restore if i dont have it. Is there a way that I can get the original carrier file and replace the new one with the original one in my itunes and have it go back to normal?

Its the end of the summer..s o MMS better bet coming out soon anyways

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I would just restore; it won't be that big of a deal. Your music is on your computer, email is probably on your computer and apps can be redownloaded for free.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

4. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

yes, i did reboot after doing the resest.. but the reset just gave me a blank carrier file but still had the MMS fields there.. I need to replace the carrier file with the original.. So i basically need to know where to find it..

Also.. no.. i said.. i do NOT want to restore.. I have too many apps downloaded on my CPU and only on a few on my iphone.. I jsut would rather not do that if i dont have to.. hence the post looking for an alternative way

5. paulyras macrumors 6502

On a mac, go to user=>library=>iTunes=> iPhone Carrier Support

Restore that carrier file, and all should be OK. I had to do that twice, and it worked both times...

Good luck!

6. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

How do you restore that carrier file though?? I thought that was how I replaced it in the first place..

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Select your iPhone from the list of devices on the left then hold down the Option key and click the Check for Updates button.

Or follow this tutorial via iClarified

8. iphone529 macrumors regular

no no no, just reset network settings under general.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Just go into your iPhone's settings in iTunes and under the apps tab choose the option to sync only selected apps. Easy enough to select only the apps you want on your iPhone.

10. goldserve macrumors newbie

The absolutely most easy way to get back VVM is to log into your ATT account, reset your VVM password and something gets sent to your phone to re-setup your VVM.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

If it makes you feel better, my VM doesn't work either and I have the hacked carrier file too.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Yeah, she said that she tried that.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Go to Settings>Network>Cellular Data

Go to the Voicemail apn section and enter: acds.voicemail

VVM should work again. I bet when you go there it will say wap.cingular. You have to change it.

14. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

First thanks Roessnakhan.. yes i already tried the iphone reset carrier settings option - DID NOT WORK because its still the same carrier file

second Mikey B i have tried that and it was actually LIKE THAT when it broke.. so that didnt work either

I just need to set up the original file and go back to the way it was.. i dont need MMS in leu of VVM.

I will let you know how to good suggestions worked out. tonight - unfortunately - was not a good night to work on it... i was working till now (1am)and now i need o get to bed cause i need to be in a 9am

15. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

so heres a question.. If i restore that file in that way, aren't i just restoring the file that I placed on my computer for the hack to get MMS??

Its been a while since I had done this, so I completely forgot how i did it.. Should have bookmarked the page with the instructions that I followed.. but i THINK.. if i remember correctly, i REPLACED that file in the iTune library with the new carrier file.

So i need the ORIGINAL carrier file for ATT for itunes

16. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

woah.. weird.. it works once! I'm not kidding.. i did nothing but manually retype the adcd.voicemail.com into the visual voicemail network, and called my phone, and YAY! it showed up

then.. i did it again (called my phone) just to test.. and it said "Visual Voicemail Unavailable Please Call"

17. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

ok... WTF.. now my voicemails are back!!!!

WTF IS GOING ON???

18. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

this whole thing is flippin weird.. now it doesnt work.. last night it was working just fine..

I wonder if its an ATT thing and NOT my phone