crap I need help! Super drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benlee, Nov 5, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

So I burnt a dvd fine with my girlfriend's MB. Now when I insert a dvd or cd (I've tried both) It just spins it for a while trying to read it and then spits it back out.

What happened. Anything I should try before taking it to genius bar and getting yelled at by my girlfriend?

Thanks

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

How do you know it burned "fine," did it give you a successful verification? The first thing to try is to open it up in the drive and computer that created the disc.

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

well regardless if it burnt it correctly or not. I can't even get the drive to recognize the Tiger disc to run hardware test. It read the disc fine and now all of a sudden it won't read a disc.

This sucks. I don't know what to do if I can't run hardware test. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new drive.

Is there a way to hook this MB up to my MBP via firewire and run hardware test that way?

Or something else I should try?

4. wingchun macrumors newbie

hi

i have the same problem. I tried to burn a dvd and i've got an error during the process. Now i can't use superdrive anymore. It can't read any cd, dvd .... can't run hardware test because tiger or leopard disk can't be read.

i'm under leopard retail.

if someone can help to try something before i'll send it to apple because it's the only one computer i have and don't want to be without if i can do something myself.

macbook pro 2.2 SR

thanks

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've had the same problem with my MacBook. It has stopped recognizing discs (commercial and personally-burnt) altogether. Hopefully, someone will be able to tell us all how to fix our drives, if possible. :)

6. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Wow, this stuff sounds crazy. Have any of you called apple or visited a store? Shouldn't all of this be covered under warranty since it sounds like non-user, non-wear related hardware failure?

7. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Mine has stopped recognizing Tiger AND Leopard, i'm not sure about other disks, and I don't know why!!! It DOES recognize them like once every 15 times, but i'm going into the apple store tomorrow to see what's what!