Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Yesterday I put a lot of stuff in the Trash, and just now put stuff from a USB key in there so I could delete it, and I clicked "Empty Trash" and it didnt come up with any errors, and everything deleted but 4 files :confused: I tryed to empty it loads of times but nothing happened... Any help?

The files are two pictures, a installer package and the zip file it came in, BTW.

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi!

Try to log out and back in again / restart.
Try to drag the items to the Desktop and delete them again.

If the above doesn't work, try using Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app) to Repair Disk Permissions.

Hope this helps.

/Rupert

scr1968

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Yesterday I put a lot of stuff in the Trash, and just now put stuff from a USB key in there so I could delete it, and I clicked "Empty Trash" and it didnt come up with any errors, and everything deleted but 4 files :confused: I tryed to empty it loads of times but nothing happened... Any help?

The files are two pictures, a installer package and the zip file it came in, BTW.

Try holding down the OPTION key when emptying the trash and see if that helps.

SCR

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Try holding down the OPTION key when emptying the trash and see if that helps.

SCR

Didnt work.

I will restart later but I cant be bothered now, too busy, but I suppose I'll see what happens next time i turn the computer on.

Thanks!

bigiffo

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Is the usb device plugged in, or are some files locked??

Try force removing the trash:
1. Open Terminal
2. Type:
Code:
sudo rm -R \drag\file\on\here
3. Drag the file from the trash onto the line of code, hit return and it should delete the file. (Replace '\drag\file\on\here' with the file location)

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Is the usb device plugged in, or are some files locked??

Try force removing the trash:
1. Open Terminal
2. Type:
Code:
sudo rm -R \drag\file\on\here
3. Drag the file from the trash onto the line of code, hit return and it should delete the file. (Replace '\drag\file\on\here' with the file location)

Worked! Thanks! Didnt even have to sudo it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.