crap! replaced my iphone 5 which was unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jerrahh, Oct 7, 2012.

1. jerrahh macrumors regular

i went to genius bar to replace my iphone 5 for something and forgot to mention it was unlocked, im gonna say im screwed arnt i.

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Get your ass in that store and tell them! They should be able to bring up purchase history, and if its verizon, it's pre unlocked.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

U dont have to tell them! The imei unlocked status carry over your replacement one!

4. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

True. My response took it as if he was having problems.:eek:

5. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

oh really, so ill try to restore and get back to you guys. thanks for the help

6. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

i did a restore and it didnt say it was unlocked! :(

7. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

Not true cause unlock is tied to that's phones imei

8. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I've never had to tell Apple that my phone they are replacing is unlocked. I replaced my 4S twice and it remained unlocked with each replacement.

9. Hpye macrumors 6502

hey OP go to imei unlock status checker sites, yours will be unlock, mine was unlock and i did the exchange and i also forgot to tell them, but i check from those website and it was unlock,

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You have been lucky then. Unlocked is tied to the IMEI and individual phone

12. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wrong, I got my iPhone unlocked with a code from eBay, got my phone exchanged and didn't tell them anything. Mine is unlocked. When restored it didn't say it was unlocked had to check with a tmobile sim.

13. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You are wrong in your statement, but have one thing right.

The unlock is tied to the IMEI, when you have the phone replaced the details of the old IMEI are transferred to the new IMEI as part of the replacement process.

Same goes for warranty, old IMEI warranty becomes new IMEI warranty (not a new warranty).

I've had a number of iPhones replaced, so above is personal experience.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That makes sense. How about the person above you I quoted? Is he lucky, or once you unlock it through a site it still will work for future replacements?

15. darkside flow macrumors 6502

IMEI unlock details are definitely transferred to new IMEI under warranty replacement. I don't think it matters how you're added to the white list, whether that be from apple, a carrier or third party.

16. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

You dont have to have the message for the iphone to be unlocked! Some iphones or sometimes it shows some other time it doesnt!

Stop spreading wrong answer! I used to work there, and when we do a swap we have to enter the old imei and whatever, status the phone has it will carry over!

I one time swaped an att iphone 4 to a verizon 4S, but it wasnt my fault! The customer iphone 4 came in with dead iphone.

So the only way to find out the imei was 1: sim tray or 2: open the back. Well I did number 1 because it was the easiest.

However, somehow the imei in the sim tray was from an iphone 4s verizon.

17. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Once unlocked, always unlocked. If the IMEI is on the unlocked list at Apple any replacement will automatically be on the list.

The eBay unlockers are getting someone at a network (perhaps even at Apple) to add the IMEI to the official list, once it's on the list it is permanently unlocked.

18. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

dev.mk sucks it just says everything is unlocked anyother way to check with out putting a sim card in casue i dont wanna get a nano-sim from tmobile or verizon

19. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

None of those check sites seem to have an updated database for the iphone 5.

If you can't get a nano sim, just cut a microsim down, plenty of tutorials and templates around now.

20. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

now to find someone who doesnt have ATT. lol i make everyone i know get att over the other 2

----------

just chatted with ATT they checked my IMEI it was in fact still unlocked, thanks a lot guys, glade to see some people still help on this forum.

21. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Try these 2 next time!
    http://www.s-url.ro/
    http://iphoneox.com/