Crappiest Mac Software Publisher? (Poll to follow)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, May 13, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Okay, Microsoft just released an update to Office and not only is it not available for download from it's very own auto-update feature, it trashes some installs! Perfect! :p

Over the years, I've been the victim of Symantec's (Norton) garbage, Smith Micro's crap and MacSoft's buggy ports. Who is the worst?

Nominate your "favorite" and let's have a poll in a few days. :p

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I vote for Symantec - Norton Utilities in particular. It was a godsend on Mac OS 9, but is notorious for trashing Mac OS X installations.

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

EA is kinda low on my list as their software is pretty buggy.

AOL is also floating low with their infinite betas

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

5. faroukabad macrumors member

Colorbyte Software, ImagePrint Rip. It's exorbitantly expensive, tech support is largely provided by a Yahoo user group. The phone tech support that exists is evasive, they will tell you to buy an upgrade (more large sums of money) to fix the problem, and when questioned about easier solutions, become defensive and seem to deny any knowledge of them. It's almost as if they'd been instructed not to tell people how to fix stuff so they'll have to buy more.

I did get some key tech info not mentioned elsewhere out of them once after a lot of roundabout questioning and prying.

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

AOL is pretty bad, and always has been. I haven't used it in 10 years, but my Dad put the latest on my Mom's iMac. Needless to say, she stopped using it the next day.

Oh, and LogMeIn breaks with every other release. I wish they'd get their Mac/Safari support straight.

7. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I vote for M$ since I am having issues with the lovely Office 08 SP1 update.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

AOL and Norton (Symantecs) if you're talking large firms. I've seen some really crappy stuff from little guys too, but they're not usually worth talking about.

Microsoft has ups and downs. I actually thought Office 2004 was decent, though obviously still had plenty bugs. I hate 2008. I dislike Messenger, though it does have a few nice points.

Anyways, you get the picture.

jW

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

My vote is a three way tie between Microsoft, Symantec, and Intuit. I'm beginning to wonder if Intuit ever plans on updating Quicken for Mac again. Either way, I've long since given up on ever seeing feature parity out of them with their Windows version. :rolleyes:

10. Queso macrumors G4

Symantec without a doubt. To be fair though, they're also totally useless on the Windows side.

11. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

12. zelet macrumors regular

Snerdware

Has to be Snerdware with their crap-tastic Groupcal.

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Intuit

Bill Campbell's fat arse sits on the Apple board and to date there "still" isn't feature parity with the windows version. Fuggers

14. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Most companies offer software years in advance, like car companies. There should be a Quicken 2009 on the market right now. Instead, we have Quicken 2007. :mad:

At some point you would think these idiots would make product names that were evergreen. Quicken 6 or Quicken Ultra... who the hell would know if those were old or released an hour ago? :apple:

15. minik macrumors 65816

16. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Any company that primarily develops for Windows and then ports to Mac without worrying too much about following standard GUI conventions.

Real Player for example. MS Office is rotten too, mangled keyboard short cuts and just for not feeling like a true Mac application even if it looks like one sort of.

17. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

For me it's a toss up between Roxio and Adobe. Roxio products are rather pricey and more often than not will not work when a new version of OS X is released. With Adobe, their products are very pricey, incredibly bloated, scatter garbage all over your computer, and they are uber slow to update their products. In fact I don't think Adobe even updates current titles, they just wait until the next version comes out and then make it compatible and always seem to be two steps behind the current OS/hardware offered by Apple.

18. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep my vote goes for symantec also,both on Macs & windows,got a couple of new windows lappy's delivered at work yesterday,spent the next couple of hrs getting shot of it & all the crap that goes with it