Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I paused the video at 40 seconds and there is what looks like a headphone plug or power adapter of some sort plugged into what would be the bottom right corner if you were holding an iPhone in it's normal upright (vertical) position (at points in the video you can see the home button to use as a reference). There obviously isn't a jack of this sort on the iPhone in that area, so what device was this?

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
I paused the video at 40 seconds and there is what looks like a headphone plug or power adapter of some sort plugged into what would be the bottom right corner if you were holding an iPhone in it's normal upright (vertical) position (at points in the video you can see the home button to use as a reference). There obviously isn't a jack of this sort on the iPhone in that area, so what device was this?

Looks very much like an ipod touch to me. Definately not an iPhone. There is no chrome bezel. And it looks very thin. So, IMO, it is an iPod touch.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
looks pretty fun. I will probably get a few of these games when the app store comes out

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
isnt it funny that the iPhone has better graphics and a better touchscreen that the Nintendo DS, which has been successful because of its touchscreen?

all they gotta do is port mariokart onto the iPhone now, and all other handheld consoles are DEAD

Zelda would be pretty sweet as well
and while im dreaming how about Halo 4: iPhone?.........

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wow, this looks pretty good compared to the original posting on this. I would buy an iPod Touch for my kids vs. a Nintendo DS if they port games. By the time you start spending 30 for each nintendo game this is the cheaper route.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
It's obviously fake, he's not even tilting the device. He's more just rotating it, which the accelerometer wouldn't pickup.

I'll believe it when I see it in Installer.app or in the AppStore.

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
It's obviously fake, he's not even tilting the device. He's more just rotating it, which the accelerometer wouldn't pickup.

At last - a further voice of reason! Thanks General!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's cute. It looks approximately comparable in quality to something that might be on, say, the DS. I had not seriously considered getting games for my iPhone, but if games of that quality and comparable depth to games on the DS were available on the iPhone for $20-25 or less, I would seriously consider them.

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008

At last - a further voice of reason! Thanks General!

The General is actually wrong in this case. You guys obviously missed the March Event and the last WWDC keynote where Steve Jobs mentioned that the Accelerometer is actually a 3-Axis Accelerometer (much to many people's surprise), allowing for more subtle movements as shown in this Crash video (and also demonstrated in the last two Keynote events with various applications.)

So it actually responds to the typical left and right rotating that we are used to (i.e. in apps such as Photo, Safari, etc.) as well as slight forward and backwards tilts and shakes and taps.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
The General is actually wrong in this case. You guys obviously missed the March Event and the last WWDC keynote where Steve Jobs mentioned that the Accelerometer is actually a 3-Axis Accelerometer (much to many people's surprise), allowing for more subtle movements as shown in this Crash video (and also demonstrated in the last two Keynote events with various applications.)

So it actually responds to the typical left and right rotating that we are used to (i.e. in apps such as Photo, Safari, etc.) as well as slight forward and backwards tilts and shakes and taps.

The only way the iPhone would be able to detect the kind of movement the guy is showing is with a compass. I'm not wrong, anyone with half a brain stem and a slight grasp on how accelerometers work would be able to figure this out.

Gravity is down, no matter what. Accelerometers only know from which direction gravity is pulling. If the iPhone is rotating about the axis from which gravity is pulling, it cannot detect movement.

coryetzkorn

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
This looks awesome. One of my favorite games (and I don't even play games).

My first App Store purchases will be:
1. iTunes Remote
2. Super Monkey Ball
3. Crash Bandicoot (if available)
4. eBay
5. Facebook (if available)

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
The only way the iPhone would be able to detect the kind of movement the guy is showing is with a compass. I'm not wrong, anyone with half a brain stem and a slight grasp on how accelerometers work would be able to figure this out.

Gravity is down, no matter what. Accelerometers only know from which direction gravity is pulling. If the iPhone is rotating about the axis from which gravity is pulling, it cannot detect movement.

Let them believe it if they want. The 11th will soon be here :p

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
This looks like it will play like crap. Pretty visuals (although not quite at PSP standards) but the controls are awful.

Motion sensing games really are terrible unless there's a reason for the motion sensing to be there.

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
This looks like it will play like crap. Pretty visuals (although not quite at PSP standards) but the controls are awful.

Motion sensing games really are terrible unless there's a reason for the motion sensing to be there.

It's not real. Someone has take the video out from the console and 'handbrake-ed' it onto an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.