Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart on Iphone !!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cpe78, Jun 30, 2008.

1. cpe78 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I just saw this video on Youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZoEfBxQPk

Crash Bandicoot is coming on Iphone and this first leak looks amazing.

I want it :)

Hope it will available for the appstore launch.

CPE78

2. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Woah, that is pretty impressive. Except I'm getting sick of seeing all these games only being controlled by the accelerometer. Just a tap on the left (or right) side of the screen would turn the vehicle in the appropriate direction.

3. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I think tilting the iPhone all the time during games is gonna pretty damn annoying pretty damn soon.

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

yeah, I agree. The novelty of the wheel for Mario Kart Wii got old pretty fast, and you weren't even moving the whole screen. I just think having motion controls in most games will prove more annoying over time than anything. Plus, think about it- you'd probably play the game while riding in the car, riding on a train/subway, etc. In these situations you're constantly being moved around a bit as the method of transportation moves, which will mean you naturally tend to cause the iPhone to move around and potentially mess you up.

6. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

that is pretty cool. I guess all games, or most of them, are going to require titling the phone since there are no physical buttons. :confused:

7. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

So now it will be even harder to stop my 7 year old from putting his grubby paws all over my shiny new phone! Thanks a million Crash!

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I for one love the tilting feature. I think the thing that will get old is crappy developement that doesn't have the proper configuration on the controls. The crash demo looked perfect IMO.

I tried playing the race game (can't remember the name) on a jailbroken phone and hated it. The controls were way to touchy and I kept crashing into the wall.

9. The General macrumors 601

Probably Raging Thunder, or Raging Blunder as I like to call it. :D That game is unplayable.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I second that; my nephews commandeered my iPhone to watch two Star Wars movies and they didn't get it back to me 'til both movies were done! Fingerprints and smudges included. :p

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Note, this very well could be not real. Could be someone's homebrew. Or could be some homebrew emulator. Or could be some guy really wanted to fake people out so made a video to play on his device while he pretends to play.

12. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I'm sure you are right DP - the control seemed too smooth

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Crash kart racing was by far my favorite game for the PS1, glad to see they're still keeping the franchise alive

14. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

+1 Agreed.

15. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

This can always be a fake, but I hope all racing games are not like this with the tilt. I hate to be in a public place, like waiting for an appointment, and have to look all fidgety and weird just to play a game silently.

I don't want to stand out like I'm playing a Wii.

Then the controls will probably never be right, and the fact your view the screen is always compromised.

There was a cool example on youtube, can't find it, where they showed a way to control a racing game on the iPhone in landscape.

They basically laid out controls on the bottom corners of the screen to control with your thumbs like any other gaming device such as PSP. So you had brake and accelerate buttons on the left. And on the right, it had virtual steering wheel you could rotate with your thumb.

Ah, found the concept controls:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfgKFHQ8t4E

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Real or not it looked good. I was always a crash fan. Would love to see a crash game on the iPhone. =]

17. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a new Crash B. game on the PS3.

18. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

On racing games I don't want to have to turn the phone almost upside down to accelerate i want it to go at a steady speed or use something else for acceleration.

ChrisN

19. brandonzar macrumors regular

It's real check out http://www.polarbit.com/cbnk3d.html they are making the game for other devices as well, they are also the people behind raging thunder. I bet we will see some of the other games on their site for the iPhone as well.

By the way: Not real = fake

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My daughter will want this for her iPod Touch!

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The novelty of the wheel wore off, but I personally still like it better than without the wheel. The key thing about MK Wii is you don't need the wheel. I think there are three different control methods available.

I just don't see many good options for a lot of games on the iPhone. If you have tried using buttons on there when you need them to work exactly when you hit them, you know how that could be a problem. I still think the best option is some sort of attachment that plugs into the dock plugamabobber (I forget the official name). But I also think the jury is out until we get the chance to play some of them next week.

22. PolarbitTommy macrumors newbie

Controls, etc.

Hi,

First of all, nice to see so many of you excited about CBNK (here and around the web). We at Polarbit have high hopes for iPhone / iPod Touch as gaming platforms and feel extremely lucky to be a part of this from the very beginning.

A few comments:
    At present, there really isn't any better way to control racing games on the iPhone than the gyro / tilt. The primary benefit is of course the "analogue" precision: tilt a little, turn a little - tilt a lot, turn a lot. Also, we can use screen taps for other commands - like jumping of firing weapons - that do not require analogue precision.

We've seen some creative solutions with steering wheels and stuff as part of the HUD, but you'll never achieve the same smoothness of controls with this method. Plus, you're gonna lose the "full-screen" feeling of the iPhones fabulous display.

For those of you worried about loosing you're street cred by playing a wacky game that requires tilting the phone in public, don't worry - it's more discreet than you think. You can play and still look cool. ;)

As for Raging Thunder, if you find it too tough in portrait, you'll get a chance to experience the game in landscape mode with a few added bells and whistles soon enough.

Cheers,

Tommy
    Polarbit

23. brandonzar macrumors regular

Thanks for posting, can you give us anymore details? like will it be avalible when the app store opens, pricing, what other games you are working on for the iPhone?

24. DreamPod macrumors 65816

No, fake implies that someone is actively trying to "fake you out". But as I said, this could have been a homebrew game for jailbroken phones or a proof of concept. Just a single YouTube video tells us nothing. Now that we have a website and a poster, of course, we know all :)

25. brandonzar macrumors regular

Oh, that's an interesting distinction. :rolleyes: