crash crash HELP! crash crash HELP!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by boynigel, Jul 22, 2010.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

i've got a 1.25GHz powerpc g4 w/1gb of ram running os 10.4.11. my browsers, firefox and safari crash constantly. tried EVERYTHING. i finally entertained the idea that maybe i was crashing because my 80 gig hard drive was 10 gigs shy of being full. so i backed up all my important stuff and totally erased my hard drive to start from scratch. this worked great for about an hour, and now i'm back to the browsers crashing all the time again. if i watch video, like on youtube, i'll crash every time within 30 seconds i don't get it. i should mention that both browsers are up to date, as is my flash player. how can this still be happening even after wiping the slate clean? i haven't even put all my saved data back on the hard drive either.:confused:

2. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

The root of the problem may be from the .plist files and user files of the Applications. Do this, install AppCleaner, run it, and then drag and drop Firefox into it, it will gather all appropriate files that firefox uses and will delete them. Be sure to back up bookmarks, Also uninstall Adobe Flash player and then reinstall the latest version. I also suggest that you install OnyX and click the automation tab, check everything and then run it, and restart your machine when it is finnished. When all is done, reinstall Firefox.

3. hucchund22 macrumors member

your ppc will really crash when using youtube, or any other sites that contains flash <------- just a thought.. :p

4. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I have a same spec'd eMac and i go to heavy Flash sites all the time and mine never crashes - though all macs seem to have a mind of their own...

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Try another HDD. By "crash" you mean Kernel Panic or freezes?

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Keep your backup. Erase the drive and start over, YET AGAIN. If it still "crashes" you may need a new hard drive. Maybe RAM.

This is just my .02

7. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

by "crash" i mean it "quits unexpectedly" firefox and safari, that is...

8. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

somebody else suggested the possibility of bad ram, but can bad ram actually be selective to web browsers only? non of my other apps crash

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

OK, did it start from any specific moment, if you remember? OS, browser's update, java or flash update?

Edit:

See what is in system.log right after browser crash.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, bad RAM will cause your whole system to crash.

11. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

o.k., so i ran Tech Tool Pro and found the system drive to have "damage". i used the repair function and i've been solid for about two days now. my wife said she had a one crash, but i haven't had one yet. i guess if the problem comes back i should just replace the hard drive? i also remember a few times over the past month that when i wake up the computer it makes a brief, mechanical noise, almost like a fax machine. maybe that's the hard drive?

12. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Replacing the drive wil be easiest and safest remedy. Especially if it has produced some mechanical noise earlier.