Crash Plan and iMac Names

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kapalua12, May 5, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I have 2 iMacs with similar names. Also, my Mac Book Pro and MacBook Air are named differently. Does Crash Plan reference the computer name when backing up data from a specific computer which might become confusing when I need to restore data from Crash Plan Central to a specific iMac?

Should I change the similar computer's names to make them more intuitive and obvious and if so how do I do that? Will that affect my Time Capsule backups already created or new ones that will be created every hour?

Lots of questions...thanks for taking the time to help out.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Crashplan will not get confused.

If you want to change the name of a computer: System Preferences > Sharing > Computer name

I am pretty sure that you can change the name that Crashplan uses for reports from within your CP account.

/Jim

3. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

And I can have PC's and Mac's on the same family plan account with Crash Plan?

What about Time Capsule Backups accumulating on one of the iMacs (the new one)....will time capsule care if the new iMac's name has been changed and not adversely affect the few weeks of backups it's made so far?

I may be over thinking this but I want to put into place the final portion of the multiple backup system you've outlined, without screwing up the existing Carbon Copy Clone backups I've made so far as well as ensuring that time machine backup data continues to accumulate for the correct computer without adversely affecting existing time capsule backups of the computer who's name I change.

Thanks.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use CrashPlan on multiple machines with any mix of PC and Mac.

You can change the machine name in OS X and that will not hurt the existing TM backup.

You can change the machine name for CrashPlan in this screen in the CrashPlan app and it will not make the backup start over.

In short, change the machine name in OS X and CrashPlan to whatever you want and you will be fine and they do not need to be the same.

[​IMG]

5. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Since you asked me... I'll second what WeaselBoy said. Spot on.

/Jim

7. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502