Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
Many of my applications are crashing now that I have Leopard, for example iTunes when trying to delete music or in Firefox when I want to search for specific words in a web page.

Does this have to do with Leopard? What should I do? Format and install the OS or what? I don't really want to do that, but if I must to get rid of these stupid crashes, then I guess I'll have to.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
what type of install did you do with Leopard, if you just did an upgrade that could be your problem. But before reinstalling I would try repairing permissions, and also restarting if you haven't already tried that.

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
I just repaired disk permissions and its still doing it.

Oh well. Guess I'll just do a a fresh install. Should have done that in the first place.

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
it could be your RAM...

can you specify what kind of ram modules you have and MB amount, brand etc. one of your modules could be bad, give some detail please, One way of trying out bad ram is to take one out, try apps with it, then take it out and install the other, just in case, assuming you have 2 modules.thanks

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
Have you tried making a new user? Shot in the dark: have you installed any non-standard fonts?

No for both.

I just did an archive and install (saving my preferences and such) and it is still doing it. Only one thing left to try. :\

As for the post above this, I doubt it'd have to do with my RAM.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Leopard upgrade hurt my MDD too

I did an upgrade also on my MDD 867 and have had all kinds of stability and performance issues. Some things seem to work great, but iTunes usage, iPhone syncing, application crashes, and general system hangs have really been a pain. Now that I have my external drive full of TM data, I can't back up my extra files and wipe the boot disk.

I love some things about Leopard, but overall a headache after the PPC upgrade.

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
I think I am just going to leave it like this.

I'm thinking that these crashes are related to software, not the OS itself.

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
I hope you haven't done a reinstall.

I'd bet money this is the same problem I had.

The problem is related to the alert sound. Go to the Sounds preference pane and select a different one.

Under Tiger I had made a "fake" alert sound in order to make the system flash the screen when it couldn't find the sound. After upgrading to Leopard, this trick no longer worked, and iTunes, Firefox, and other programs would crash immediately upon triggering an alert sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.