Crash with strange pixel pattern

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tjl05003, Sep 3, 2011.

1. tjl05003 macrumors newbie

Was wondering if any of you had come across this problem before. I just started getting strange crashes today. Whenever my macbook crashes, strange squiggly pixel patterns appear. Now I cannot boot up past the grey apple screen with the loading wheel. I am attaching a few terrible pics I took with my phone but hopefully they will suffice. I've tried all the resets that I know of, but no success booting yet. Just hoping this isn't a serious hardware issue. Help me out here guys. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. tjl05003 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not 100% sure, but i know its discrete 17" either from early 2008 or late 2007.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I suspect that you have this issue. As noted, you get a 4-year warranty for that issue so try to find your purchase date.

5. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

Looks like the Nvidia graphics card issue that is well documented in this forum. You may be able to get Apple to help you with this... take it in.

6. tjl05003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, what would you advise as the best course of action to getting this repaired? What are my options? The nearest apple retail store is over an hour away, I don't have applecare and I'm not particularly interested in paying $50 just to talk to somebody on the phone. Can you direct me to a thread where people have had this issue dealt with?

7. bb426, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

They should take it even if you don't have Applecare because it's a known issue with these Nvidia cards. They will replace it, no questions asked. It sucks to have to drive an hour away, but it's a good deal that they'll replace it for free (it's a manufacturing problem, nothing you've done).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196552