crash!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ppnkg, Apr 21, 2007.

1. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

I have a question.

earlier today I noticed my mac's fans going really crazy. I tried to open activity monitor but the whole system became unresponsive, so thought I should restart, which I did. Now the log tells me:

Apr 21 20:26:23 gpd crashdump[1220]: WindowServer crashed
    Apr 21 20:26:28 gpd crashdump[1220]: crash report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/WindowServer.crash.log
    2007-04-21 20:27:15.026 ScreenSaverEngine[1218] Exception raised in _worker_sendObject: A timeout occurred
    2007-04-21 20:27:15.136 Safari[1207] Exception raised in _worker_sendObject: A timeout occurred
    Apr 21 20:29:20 gpd crashdump[1225]: WindowServer crashed
    Apr 21 20:29:24 gpd crashdump[1225]: crash report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/WindowServer.crash.log
    Apr 21 20:30:40 gpd crashdump[1228]: WindowServer crashed

and so on for about five more minutes until I restarted the computer.

Could anyone tell me what the hell happenned?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Looks like a timeout occured while in _window_sendObject which caused an exception to be thrown, which caused WindowServer to crash.

Yes, you can get all that from the logs, but without knowing what you were doing at the time, it's difficult to say what EXACTLY went wrong. ;)

3. ppnkg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

well, I wasn't doing anything at all. Just Safari was open and on macrumors page, but I was actually nearby wathing tv. Then I noticed the fans...

strange.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

That is strange. If it keeps happening, take note of what your system is doing at the time and maybe we can find a common thread to the problem.

5. IBrown macrumors newbie

You're not the only one...

...I'm getting this as well.

I'll be on the phone to Apple in the morning.

I've had the MBP just under two weeks and it's frozen four times. It's not exactly reassuring as it can only be a matter of time before my wife loses a whole chunk of work.

I'll post here with Apple's response.

6. IBrown macrumors newbie

You're not the only one...

...I'm getting this as well.

I'll be on the phone to Apple in the morning.

I've had the MBP just under two weeks and it's frozen four times. It's not exactly reassuring as it can only be a matter of time before my wife loses a whole chunk of work.

I'll post here with Apple's response.

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

at least it still works, my macbook crashed and now it wont turn on at all, no startup charm nothing! =O i need to ring apple up and tell them about this one...

8. IBrown macrumors newbie

I phoned Apple...

They suggested that when the MBP crashes, and the keyboard and trackpad freeze that I force-quit the running application.

I pointed out that the trackpad was frozen so I couldn't select force-quit from the menu and the keyboard was frozen so I couldn't use the keyboard shortcut.
    "But did you then try to force-quit" I was asked. We went round and round on that one for a little while.

Apple Care have now asked me to run a disk check utility from the OSX disk. I suppose it's worth trying.

Now, I'm new to the Mac. If you reinstall the OS under windows you have to reinstall all your apps. I'm assuming that this is also true of OSX.