Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Hi,

Starting up new MacBook Pro for the first time, had to do something else for 30 minutes during setup.

Tried to continue setup after coming back, but got a continually spinning beachball. After 15 minutes it was still spinning, nothing else responding, so powered the machine off and on again.

Started setup process again, but now when it gets to the "account name" field it won't allow me to enter my name (it automatically puts a number 1 after it). It appears the first (incomplete) setup process somehow saved the account name so now the machine prevents me from using that same name.

How can I start again and use the name I want without having some "phantom" other account name on the machine?

Thanks in advance for advice.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Try getting into the recovery partition by pressing cmd-r on boot up. You may need to reinstall OS X from there if you cannot complete the setup install as you stated.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
cmd-r takes me into OS X Utilities.
There's an option to reinstall OS X but it tells me I can't as I'm not connected to the internet. I can use the wi-fi icon in the menu bar to connect and then go through otions to download and reinstall. Is that the right thing to do?

edit: I followed this through, and it downloaded and installed correctly. On restarting, the original (interrupted) account was on the machine, so all's good.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.