Crashed Hard Drive - Transfer via Ethernet

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jmporter, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jmporter macrumors newbie

My 2008 MacBook has crashed and I need to backup the data temporarily to a Dell computer that we don't use anymore while I restore the hard drive (the repair module says that's what's needed.)

My issue is that while I've set up the network connection on the Dell, which is recognizing the MacBook, I can't get the Disk Utility to recognize that there is anything networked to the Mac.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Is it a hard drive crash, or do you suspect it's something else?

Do you have the original DVD's that came with it?

If so, can you boot from the Apple system DVD?

3. jmporter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's the hard drive. I have booted from the original set-up disks, and it sees 700,000 files in the computer, however when I access the disk utility it doesn't recognize the Dell that I've attached via Ethernet. The Dell does recognize the Mac being networked.

So, I don't know how to A) access those files to move them, B) how to force the Mac to recognize the network for transfer.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OK, since you can boot from the DVD, it looks like the computer is good but the internal drive has a problem.

What you need to do is
    - get an external drive or "bare drive" and a USB/SATA docking station
    - connect the external and install a clean copy of the OS from the install DVD
    - boot from the external drive so you have access to the Finder
    - From that point, see what you can do to access the OLD (internal) hard drive

Alternative course of action:
    - Get a new HDD or SSD to go internally
    - Swap out the bad internal drive for a good one -- use "ifixit.com" to find the guide on how to do it -- AND BE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS (shouting intentional, wrong tools can SCREW UP the job).
    - Install a clean copy of the OS onto the newly-installed internal drive
    - Once you're back up and running, you can put the [old] damaged drive into a dock or enclosure, and "go to work" on it….

Decide which way you want to go, and we can progress from there.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

and make a backup! so you don;t have to go through the run around again. Fishrrman has good advice.