"Crashed" iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JohnnySmithers, Feb 14, 2008.

1. JohnnySmithers macrumors newbie

After downloading a queue of files from the installer app on my jailbroken 1.1.3 iPod Touch, I returned to the home screen, however it did not completely load. There was a little circular moving logo signifying that the springboard was loading, but the springboard never did load. The logo kept circulating itself (taking longer than it usually would to load the springboard) for a few minutes, then my iPod Touch reset itself. It turned off and back on to the apple logo that usually shows when resetting. It gets stuck on this logo and does not load the springboard; however the computer and iTunes does recognize the iPod, and can still sync to it. The only issue is that it stays on the apple logo and is rendered useless otherwise. I could restore it and go through the process again, but it takes extremely long for me, especially re-downloading all of the apps that I had. Is there anyway that I can fix this issue without restoring? Thank you for any help you can supply. If you need more details just say so.

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

My advice to you is to restore to 1.1.3, and wait for Apple to release the SDK. The problems and bugs created through jail-breaking will disappear in an instant. You practically summed it up for yourself 'but it takes extremely long for me, especially re-downloading all of the apps that I had.'

Ok, I didn't answer your question entirely, and I think an app you downloaded from installer maybe the cause of your problem, but I'd definately restore, especially, seen as though in your current situation, your iPod is rendered useless, either jail-broken or un-jailbroken.

The SDK should offer all the applications you desire, and possibly more without the need to encounter these problems, caused by installing uncertified 3rd-party apps on a platform which is fairly new to everyone.

I hope this advice helps.

R-Fly

3. JohnnySmithers thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that if there is actually nothing else I can do, I have to restore again, and hopefully the SDK has some decent applications. However, is there at least a way that I can remove the content from my iPod to my computer, from my computer, and then transfer it back after I restore? Or does anyone know of a way that I can force my iPod back to the springboard?

4. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Use TouchCopy to transfer your files back and forth. http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/

5. JohnnySmithers thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks =). So what I ended up doing was I updated my iPod to the 1.1.1 firmware (from 1.1.3, odd but it worked and did not erase all settings). I reinstalled the installer app, and downloaded mobile finder again, so what I'm doing is manually moving files back to a usable location. It is odd however, that I cannot yet find some, though I'm still in the process. Also, I found something very interesting along the way, may be good idea for an app. Since I had saved settings that I moved to a proper spot, some icons hid themselves as they were before I updated. But, if I double-tapped the area in which the hidden icon was, it appeared and was usable, and just as certain if you double tap it again, it disappeared to a hidden state again. Just thought I'd put that out there. I'll try this filemover and see if I can move things easier, thanks all for the help, and if you have more suggestions, it would be appreciated =).