Crashed MacBook Pro-possibly recover files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdem78, Dec 18, 2012.

1. mdem78 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am new here and stumbled across the site in a google search.
    I am naive to any kid of repairing anything but a couple of weeks ago my hard drive crashed on my macbook pro. I started it up and got a simple white screen and heard a clicking noise coming from what sounded like the CD drive (which I later learned was the hard drive)

I brought the laptop into the apple store and thankfully had applecare for a few more months so they were able to put in in a new hard drive for me at no cost. They gave me back my hard drive so I do have that but it is obviously in no enclosing what so ever.

I was hoping there would be a way I could try myself to recover files (mostly concerned with family and clients photographs from the past 3 months-everything else was backed up already) I had on my desktop but since I am not a techy person I was wondering if some one can explain the best way (in laimans terms) to try to recover the photos.

Thank you in advance.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You could put it in a USB to SATA enclosure. They're cheap and common. If the files show up, copy them. If not a professional drive recovery service is very expensive.

For future reference get a backup solution. Time Machine is awesome, iCloud, a NAS (Synology), DropBox, Google Drive, SkyDrive... There's no excuse anymore not to have at least some form of automatic backup.

PS clicking HDDs usually mean a head crash (unrecoverable without a professional service).

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree on all points. A clicking hard drive is most likely unrecoverable, but an external enclosure is pretty cheap so it's worth a try.

If simply putting it into the enclosure doesn't help, you could always try the freezer trick or sometimes a good mechanical shock will help(either one of these can also kill the drive, so don't try them unless you have no other option.)

4. mdem78, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

mdem78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips, I do back up regularly (external drive, and crashplan) but time got the best of me so I lost 3 months of photos. Not the end of the world but had a friends newborn twins photos on there. Can you possibly send me a link to a cheap enclosure to test this out?

Thanks again in advance for the help.

5. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I had exactly the same problem and I used an external case to house my HDD in then reconnected and I used DiskWarrior and recovered pretty much everything. Not saying it will work for you but it did for me.

Now just to make clear, I am not employed by Diskwarrior, receive any money from them whatsoever nor do I own any shares etc. I simply want to pass on to people who are in a similar situation to me just how great this was for me.