Crashed My Buddies iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by willrt, Sep 2, 2013.

1. willrt macrumors newbie

I've been working to install create a bootable usb drive from my buddies Mac. I torrented Mountain Lion (yes, I know this is unethical, but I didn't want to spend money on a setup I wasn't sure of) I had some troubles messing around with the .app file, I managed to do some digging around and found a terminal file in the .app I accidentally executed.

His computer was fine and I walked away for thirty minutes. Came back, tried to move the mouse and now it's throwing a Kernel Panic 0x0043913F. He had 10.5 on his iMac (I found out this is why I was having such a miserable time.) and I think I may of updated his system? Is it possible to do a rollback?

Post if any you need any clarification.

EDIT: I've read here that I need to reinstall the OS. Is this possible with only a PC at my disposal?

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I dont get......

the need for PC. If the bootable you made lets you format and install the OS fresh from scratch......Otherwise, will be needed a retail installer. But seems pretty messed up for me for "Operation Rollback". And maybe you had lost the files in the Mac.....:confused:......:eek:.......:(

:):apple:

3. willrt thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is I didn't properly create the bootable. I was getting an installation error from uniboot. It's baffling me that the computer was fine when I walked away. But my roommate woke it up and it through the kernel panic.

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

You do realize that much of the torrent Mac software out there contains embedded malware, don't you? To save $20.00 U.S. it's never worth the risk.

The kernel panic information you gave isn't enough.

If your buddy maintains a good Time Machine backup, which was introduced in Leopard, you could "go back" to the previous backup and restore, or, you may have to reinstall the Leopard OS on his Mac from his install disk, and restore the personal files from his backup.

If torrent software ever touched any Mac I'm responsible for maintaining, I would reformat the drive and either back up from TM or a previous clone or just reinstall the OS clean.

5. willrt thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about buying a USB containing Mountain Lion and reinstalling. Can I upgrade his computer from 10.5 to 10.8?

6. Bruno09, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

there is no USB for sale : you can buy ML from the App Store (from another Mac), download it, then create a USB stick (use Lion DiskMaker).

Yes you can install ML on a Mac running Leopard, but you will have to edit and modify a file (change "10.5" to "10.6.8") so that the ML installer will believe the computer is running Snow Leopard.

(assuming the Mac you want to install ML on can run ML...)

See here : http://www.macworld.com/article/1167868/how_to_install_mountain_lion_over_leopard.html

7. macthefork macrumors 6502

You'd need to know the model number of the iMac to see if Mountain Lion can be installed. If it's a Power PC, then it can't be upgraded even to Snow Leopard. It depends on the Intel processor used to know whether it will support Mountain Lion. Some Intel processors will not.

If it was able to be upgraded to Mountain Lion, in order to use Time Machine to restore the User Files, the Mac would need to have Snow Leopard installed first.