Crashes at grey loading screen, Boot drive problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kaelora, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Kaelora macrumors newbie

I am in need of some serious help.
    I've tried everything I could, but no results.

I turned on my mac (Power Mac G4 Mirrored Drive Door, 1.25GHz) and shortly after hitting the grey apple loading screen, it crashed and turned off. It happens every time.
    It was working absolutely fine the night before, too.

I inserted my Leopard install disc and was able to boot into that, attempting to do an archive and install (I'm going by memory, here. The one where you don't have to wipe the Hard Drive.) - I can not afford to lose all my files.
    However, the only option I am given is a complete fresh install.

I went into the disk utility and was hoping I would be able to repair the drive, burn my files to some DVDs - or at the very least check that they were there.
    They are indeed there, but because they're not all in neat little ready-to-burn-disc-image files I cannot do that.
    I tried repairing the disk in disk utility, but verification fails every time. (Something about 'misplaced keys' or similar - I would run it again if I had the time right now.)

I booted into single user mode and tried to run fsck, but again it failed every time.

In a last-ditch effort, I acquired a copy of Disk Warrior 4.1 and went through a lot of trouble trying to burn a dmg on an old windows computer. I finally managed it, though, and upon testing it? Absolutely nothing. The disc is basically ignored - it just crashes like it would if there were no disc.

I ran a verification on it with disk utility and it is supposedly fine. It does seem to be using 10.4, though. I assume that 4.1.1 adds Leopard functionality, but shall we say my... method of acquisition does not allow for such updates and I simply do not have the money - or time to wait - for a legitimate CD.

I really can not lose my files. There is a lot of time and effort in most of what I have and a lot of important stuff.

I am desperate for a way to save my things. I have no backups and no other hard drives I could set up to boot from and repair from there. I have no other macs, either. The only other computer I have access to is an old windows machine with XP.
    It would be preferable to be able to restore everything to the way it was, but I would still be satisfied if there was a way to at least retrieve my files.
    Is it, perhaps, possible to do that with the windows computer? (I'm grasping at whatever I can right now.)

I can't take it to an apple store or anything, either. The closest one is over 2 hours away.

I've been having a bit of a rough week so I am incredibly sorry if I have missed a crucial detail, and I unfortunately won't be online again for a relatively a long time. (By that I just mean 'many hours', not 'days'.) As happy as I would be to answer questions and try to solve the problem that way, I just won't be available - and I really would like to get this fixed as soon as possible. I have commitments that I will need computer access for, but I cannot often use this windows machine - especially for long periods of time.

I really hope something can be done - I'm all out of ideas and really stressing over this.
    Thank you so much for your help.

2. Kaelora thread starter macrumors newbie

No?
    Well could anybody tell me of an 80GB internal hard drive that will definitely work in a G4 mirrored drive door?