Crashing apps & white blur screen

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by drewsof07, Oct 31, 2016.

1. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Does anyone else feel my pain? I've searched the forums and no one seems to be reporting my issues. Two ATV4's in my house. Since before tvOS 10, I've had consistent issues with apps crashing. Some will open to the menu, start playing and crash, others won't even open. I'm often brought back to the home screen with no icons and a blurry white/gray background. I've reset both units to factory config (more than once) & redownloaded my apps, signed back in just to see the same behavior. There are stretches where I can't even launch netflix or hulu for days at a time on one unit, and without a reset or change starts working out of the blue. It's getting frustrating to say the least. Both units performed flawlessly through the first few tvOS updates. Plex app streaming from my local server works fine all the time, so I have to think it has something to do with connection or authentication/trust to the streaming services. I'm guessing they use a DRM algorithm and need a handshake or token to start playing that my ATVs are just struggling with. I'm not running any funky subnets or exotic network configurations either, just a single WAP connected to a newer airport extreme.
    Anyone have any tips or advice? I'm really getting to the end of my rope here...

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Sounds like something that warrants an AppleCare tech support call. Definitely not the norm...