Crashing! HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by m3gau, Nov 22, 2007.

1. m3gau macrumors member

Hey I posted in the OSX software page but am not sure if its a software problem or not so thought i'd put it here. Basically at least 5 times a day my Mac Pro keeps crashing it will freeze up completely and then give me a message saying it needs to restart and to hold down the power button etc.
    This doesn't seem specific to any piece of software on my computer which is why i think it maybe a hardware issue.
    Any thoughts?
    I'm getting desperate this shouldn't happen on a mac its a Windows kinda thing to happen!
    Thanks

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

How old is the computer? It's probably best to give Apple a ring.

3. m3gau thread starter macrumors member

I got it in March. Ok seems like I'll have to. though i have just realised that the I do always have firefox open when it crashes so am switching to safari to see if it still happens.
    Any other thoughts would be apreciated.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What peripherals do you have plugged in? Do you use third party RAM? Maybe check Console in the Utilities folder to see if it caught anything in the crash logs. :)

5. m3gau thread starter macrumors member

I have a printer an external hard drive my usb headset for skype and wireless network thingy.
    I don't really understand most of the stuff in the console so it all just looks confusing to me.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Feel free to post some of the Console stuff up here for someone else to look at. Unplug one peripheral at a time, if possible, and see if the crashing continues.

7. m3gau thread starter macrumors member

It hasn't crashed since I stopped using firefox. If it happens again will repost some console stuff and try the unlpugging. Thanks for the help so far!