Crashing problems...please help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jdee2wheels, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jdee2wheels macrumors member

Hi,

I purchased a refurbished macbook a few weeks ago and have had nothing but problems with it.

It started have kernel panics and startup problems as soon as I got it. I took it to the Apple store and they said the hard drive needed to be replaced so that's what they did.

It is still crashing and having kernel panics and I've taken it back 2 more times and they can't find anything wrong with it. Of course as soon as I take home again it starts acting up.

I'm hoping someone here has an idea what is going on so I can suggest the problem to them next time I take it in.

I leave it on the charger all day long with the lid closed. When I get home I open it up, it wakes up and a few seconds later has a kernel panic and tells me to restart. I restart it and it gets to the grey screen and just starts beeping loudly over and over again. It will do this every time I try to restart it.

Of course as soon as I bring it in to the store it starts right up again :(

I have no idea what to do but I feel like throwing the thing out the window because every trip back to the store is a 3 hour ordeal.

Please help!!

2. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

well theres your problem ;)

i just read a thread that was basically the same thing.

3. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Oh That's just Bull! Many here including myself have never experienced this with a refurb!

I bet I have read just as many failures of new macbooks as refurbs here.

As far as the OP goes, I feel your frustration and I would demand another macbook or a refund and or contact Apple. The service you have received and the time spent trying to rectify your issues should deserve better. Let us know how you make out!

Also there was a link posted here to send Apple feedback on your experience. Many have filled this out and got great responses from Apple. Do a search here and if I can find that link I'll post it here. ;)

Here ya go: http://www.apple.com/retail/feedback/

4. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

lol, hey all i am saying is that i read other threads where people had the same problem with refurbs, and i bought a new macbook and nothing is wrong.

lol no big

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Boot from your macbook with your restore disc #1 and use the disc utility and see if you can repair the Macintosh hard drive.

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

7. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

Well took it back to the store again. The guy that took it in said that the other Geniuses obviously didn't know what they were talking about :)

He said the beeping at startup is almost always bad ram or a bad logic board. He's going to try and get it back to me tomorrow. So, although I've wasted an enormous amount of time so far, hopefully it will finally be taken care of.

Now if only they could fix the poor viewing angle on the screen :)

8. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

That's a load of crap. I'm typing this on a refurbished MacBook and it's absolutely perfect.

Anyways, good luck with your visit at the Apple Store. Hope everything gets fixed.

9. menthol moose macrumors regular

I've had absolutely awesome luck with both of my refurbs - Macbook and iPod touch - so I doubt that because it's a refurb means that's the problem. In fact, they have worked so perfectly well that most of the time I forgot they were even used at all before.

The only way to fix that is to get a matte display only available on the Pro. ;)

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

my beeping at start up was a faulty logicboard. they fixed that, now if I could just get the DVD player to stop causing kernel panics I'd be happy.