Crashing programs - Chrome, FF, Safari (flash player only), vlc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cccdfern, Apr 26, 2010.

1. cccdfern macrumors newbie

Ok, so far this afternoon all my browsers have encountered errors that cause them to A) crash Or B) fail to work with flash (ie no videos will load).

Safari - works fine until you go into something that requires flash to run a video.

Chrome - crashes when opened no reason, except for error report

FF - gives the "we're sorry" crash box, when I press quit, it also manages to crash, but not always, this happens at every start-up of the app. The other way it happens, is that it goes to a screen asking whether I want to resume a session, what ever I do there it still crashes.

First I tried google (good plan), the general answer there was to update Flash, so, I tried. 10 wouldn't install (error - failed), none of the Un-installers worked (they all crashed).

Then I had an Idea and tried repairing the disk permissions, theoretically it worked - thats what disk utility said. But woe and behold no change, from that I did notice that all the errors were to do with the same sector - webkit frameworks.

Also noted, flash games work yet flash refuses to work on videos or anything else for that matter, can't upload pics as well no flash.

for something to pass the time while I grumbled about the irritating consistency of apple working against me I found VLC managed to crash in the same manner.

testing other programs now... (only from dock, unless mentioned above)
    Word - crash
    excel - crash
    powerpoint Crash
    send error report - crash
    stuffit expander - crash
    drop stuff - crash
    Audio hijack pro - crash

In the past I have had issues with my HD, notably where it got stuck in safe mode and I was required to re-install. Even though all steps were followed through while being on the phone to a tech support person, the drive will still give repair failed back-up and re-install. I'm not really wanting to do that all over again as this is a shared computer and to do that again would be pushing it.

not sure how much more info I can post.

System profiler - Not sure if this data helps, but I'll put it up just in case.

Please note that this has never happened before and that these problems only started happening today.

2. Damo01 macrumors regular

Your system sound like it's unstable. I suggest you do a 'clean' installation from your Mac OS X 6 snow leopard installation disc. if you have not done that. if you have not back up, back up using Time Machine or whatever you using to backup before you do an re-installation of snow leopard.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Reinstalling Snow Leopard will fix this. Remember, SL doesn't offer choices when reinstalling - it automatically does an Archive and Install preserving users, network settings, and OS updates, unless you erase the disk using Disk Utility prior to installation.

4. cccdfern thread starter macrumors newbie

These replies are both helpful, thank you.

Update:
    • 1 A friend helped me to get FF working again through safe mode and deleting certain things.
    • 2 Flash is working intermittently, (as in) I was able to watch some you tube videos.
    • 3 The same friend suggested, among other things to do an archive + install
    • 4 Just noticed java also doesn't work.

I'll keep posting updates on things as they happen.

Could it be of any difference that I have recently updated to 10.6.3? Could this be the catalyst that has set it all off?

All software is up to date according to Software Update.
    nothing is present in virus scans; although these also don't detect any corrupt files.

5. cccdfern thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, are there any other programs which are good/reliable for backing up on mac Besides time machine. Just asking, as whats the point of having a backup when it may not work, a form of just in case.

6. cccdfern thread starter macrumors newbie

Big problem. re-install failed twice. Start-up disk was not detected (at all), so I had to do a full wipe/install to get back in, then just did the TM restore so that I could use it at least, but of course this returned all the problems, not immediately. I had an hour of grace before it started acting up again. So, back to square one.

Is my HD screwed?

7. celticpride678

It's certainly a possibility that your hard drive has failed. Run the Apple Hardware Test provided on the Applications Install DVD to test hardware components.

8. cccdfern thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, tried that, yet both times I set it up it came up clear.

Rang tech support and they checked what I had done, asked me to Zero the drive then try a reinstall, that failed, I tried a couple of other things, they didn't work very well either. So, we're sending it to the Mac shop today for warranty (bought it in July 09); Hopefully they can just replace the HD and be done with it.

Thanks for all the constructive help guys.

All fixed now, turns out it was bad RAM, (seriously never though of it)
    Restored with TM, all fine and dandy.