Crashing programs parallels 5 and windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jezzabev, Sep 18, 2010.

1. jezzabev macrumors newbie

I have been successfully running a virtual pc (windows XP with all service packs) with Parallels Desktop 5 on an iMac for a few months now. Then this week problems have started which I cannot resolve and make me think that I may need to re-install Parallels, which I obviously do not want to do. First MS Excel 2007 froze a few times and now freezes when I try to print, now Word 2007 will not load, just sticks on the opening title window (I have tried all the MS recommended solutions without success, including uninstalling and reinstalling the whole Office suite), also Quickbooks freezes now when I try to print to my shared printer.

I posted a question about the word problem on this forum a few days ago but no replies. I am getting increasingly depressed and desperate about this as I do not know where to go for help.

Maybe someone here can help this time. I hope so.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

VMWare does "snapshots" of your VM so you can go back to an earlier state if you have to. Does Parallels offer something like that?

B

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Have you tweaked how much processor and memory your dedicating to your VM? I found some windows problems with low memory that went away when I dedicated much more to it.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Good suggestion. Definitely the more stuff you add to your VM, the more resources it will want. How much RAM are you giving the VM?

B