Crashing the Finder on Command -- Don't Do This

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cleverboy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    So, there I am in the Finder, and I want to pull up the contents of a certain folder. I hit COMMAND + SHIFT + G, and I get my "Go To Folder" box. Then I get a crazy idea and DRAaaaAAGG a folder from another Finder window into that box. CRASH. The whole Finder shuts down but dutifully gets back on its feet in seconds.

Interesting. So, uh... don't do that anyone.
    Meantime, I'll try and report that to Apple.

I was figuring that dragging a file into the "Go To Folder" box would give me to the path to that file automatically (at which point I could "edit" it, or use it for something else.) But, yeeesh. Horrible, reproduceable nasty right there.

~ CB

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Interesting. And, you're using Leopard too? Happens every time for me. I was surprised.

~ CB

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I opened several Finder windows and attempted to drag folders or files into the Go to Folder... dialog box and then into another Finder window.

5. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I guess that's a "yes". :) Interesting. I just tried this on a different Leopard machine, and it worked just fine. I guess I'll need to do some more bug hunting. Doesn't help that I've got a lot of apps running. Could be any of them.

Testing this on the other computer gave me a vector though. Apparently dragging a text file into this window CAN cause the contents of the text file to empty themselves into the box itself. Only problem is, theoretically it would only try to access the content of the file after I let go, yet its crashing before I even do that (my finger is still down dragging).

At anyrate, kind of a pointless thread if this isn't a universal problem. Oh, well.

Thanks!
    ~ CB

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can confirm this.