Crashing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zaze01, Jul 9, 2013.

1. zaze01 macrumors member

I have a MAC OS X.. Version 10.7.5.. My problem is my computer crashes every so often.. My browser is safari.. What is my problem and what can i do
    about it.. I'm a real computer dummy so i dont know a lot about computers..
    I hope someone can help me with my problem..
    Thank You

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

Which iMac... Model identifier is best... Apple menu > About This Mac > System Report > Model Identifier.

How much memory, and is it all Apple Memory?

Describe what you mean by crash. Freezing? Unable to boot? Screen goes blank? Error Message?

3. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

Crashing

iMac 11,2 Memory 4GB.. yes all Apple Memory....What i mean when it crashes
    everything thats opened closes and i get a message saying...it closed unexpectedly and do i want to report it to Apple. I usually say no..I then go and
    i remove all website data then i reset safari... and then i'm good until it does it again..I just dont know why it does it in the first place?...Thank you for any help..

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

Could be a low memory problem. Do you have large programs open when it crashes? These would be programs such as Photoshop, or even Garageband, imovie, etc...

You can open Activity Monitor and see how much free memory you have, along with how much each program is using. Also look at pageouts, at the bottom of the Activity Monitor window. If it has more than 0 pageouts, it's using the HDD as virtual memory, and can slow the system down, and even cause crashes such as this. This condition can be remedied my installing more RAM.