CrashPlan issues

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chickenlegs, Jun 27, 2014.

1. chickenlegs macrumors member

chickenlegs

I wonder if anyone else has had issues with CrashPlan? I have been in almost constant email correspondence with one of their very helpful tech solutions chaps for over a week but no one seems to be able to pin point the problem that I have with connecting to CP's servers. I have uninstalled and re-installed the software at least four times, uninstalled my antivirus software completely, switched off the Mac firewall entirely yet momentarily, edited command lines in Terminal (under strict guidance) and added open port numbers in my router. I have also followed the instructions on the CrashPlan web site which outlines how to overcome a known syntax error in the plist file.
    It doesn't seem to matter what I (we) try, I cannot get further than clicking on the CrashPlan app, waiting for what seems an age and then clicking on 'no' to retry connecting to their servers as if I click 'yes' I am back to square one.
    I just cannot see what might be stopping the connection.
    Anyone else found a solution or has it just worked flawlessly for you?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use Crashplan and don't have that problem at all. I have my OS X firewall on and did not open any ports on my router at all.

Try creating a new, temp user account and login to that account and see if it will work from there. That would eliminate anything running as a startup item in your account that might be a conflict.

3. chickenlegs thread starter macrumors member

chickenlegs

All sorted

Weaselboy, what a star you are.
    Your idea was pure gold! Thank you. I created a test account and logged in to that account and found that I could install and run the CrashPlan software which immediately asked me to create a new account.
    When I logged back in to my normal account, I decided to try something (which I am sure you will think is flipping' obvious, but didn't occur to me! I had been trying a cloud back up service via LiveDrive and had their software installed on the Mac. I decided yesterday to cancel their service opting instead for Crash Plan, but their software was still on the Mac until I have just uninstalled it and hey presto, Crash Plan works. I guess the LiveDrive programme must have been blocking the connection to Crash Plan, but who would have known that...certainly not me! Thank you again.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member