Craving - MacBook Aluminum Unibody

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DeepIn2U, Mar 6, 2010.

1. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

To be honest at this point I wonder if I should just save $1500 for the upcoming rumored Corei5 model; but with all the iPad news I wonder if it'll ever happen this Spring.

MacBook Aluminum UniBody 13" or the MacBook Pro 13" - either one of the current platform, although nice, has been 2yrs old already and everyone with the base MacBook Aluminum Unibody or MBP 13" Unibody (even the Polycarbonate Unibody) is asking $1000 - 1600 CAN for it on other boards like ehmac/craigslist/kijiji. I see this is a rip off!

Their NOT Apple, Inc - just people selling a used, and possibly loved, but so many ads state "Apple is selling this product for $1xxx (Canadian) dollars blah blah. Nobody is flexible - even somebody selling the MB Aluminum Unibody with no charger their dog chewed up. I think charging less than $300 from retail price for a 6mth or 8mth laptop - all components STOCK - is a rip off because there is no "community" or "instant know how" that comes with buying a used Mac.

Yes I CHOOSE to switch to a Mac but buying one used when either A) No warranty (or ability to upgrade warranty), or B) scratches, oil or scuff marks doesn't warrant a close to new BNIB pricing that the Apple Stores charge. And yes, I've sold used products often (my former cellphones & PS3) and bit the bullet - often charging fair pricing that is comparative to others already selling their products or undercutting by $50-100.

I was able to find a loop-hole in how HP does their warranty: which screwed me over & the retailer 45days after purchase and was able to get my refund. I've got just under $800CAN for a Late 2008 MB Aluminum Unibody with all accessories, box, charger, and discs. So I'm looking for a helping guidance hand or two to help me find a non-broken, non-water splashed, non-dropped, non-dupleted battery MacBook Aluminum UniBody 13" or MBP 13" for the $800 price range.

I will use this machine for:
    Windows Applications/Mac Applications
    Java coding using Eclipse & learning to code for BlackBerry
    Ableton Live 7-9 & or Logic for music production (something I've been wanting to do for over 22yrs!!).

Can anybody help or point a helping hand to where I can purchase in Toronto; I prefer to meetup so that I can inspect it and not get a lemon.

Ehmac is looking dry lately.
    Craigslist is abundant but again many only want close to new prices and mixup specs.
    Kijiji is also lookin dry lately.

2. kenobe23 macrumors member

Buying a used computer is probably not a good deal. You never know how it's been treated, or what condition it's in. This is especially true with a laptop. I think buying a used MB is a false economy generally. I would save up a little more and buy a refurbished model direct from Apple. That way you know exactly what you're getting and it has a full warranty.

As far as what people ask for their macbooks on craigslist: that's good old supply and demand. If they weren't selling, people would lower their price!

3. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Thanks for the reply.

I was beginning to think either I was just seriously too cheap - I have to work damn hard for each dollar, or to just suck it up and save & save for a refurbished or new on.

Unfortunately refurbished from Apple is not in my vocabulary - due to my credit card has a very low limit. I'm right now trying not to use it for spending has I just paid off the full balance - and have been doing 50% more than the miniman requirement this past 30days.

I guess I just have to keep looking and saving what I can each week until I get lucky. But I'm going to be very careful in what I'm purchasing.

4. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Loving IT!

Finally have one !! Just beginning to set this up.

This is an incredible machine and its .4" thinner than my original baller TiBook G4 [667Mhz].

Apple keep on doing what you do, please. Thank you to previous owner's wife that babied this machine - though I feel sorry she needs to upgrade to Win7 machine for work compatibility.

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Congratulations!

Obviously you found a good deal on a used machine, which is great. Unfortunately that seems to be rare. Macs seem to hold their value quite well in the resale market. My PowerBook G4, which was 5 years old at the time I sold it, was still worth $500-600 on the used market. Well, great news for the seller, but somewhat less incentive to buy used Macs.

My next Mac will likely be another refurb from the Apple store.