Craziest Best Buy story

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by oaklandwarrior, Aug 2, 2011.

1. oaklandwarrior macrumors newbie

So I went to buy the new Macbook Air at the only local Best Buy that had stock. I had them hold it during the evening of the Reward Zone Silver special event so that I would get triple reward zone points, and brought my student ID in the hopes of getting the $100 gift card. However when I arrived the salesperson in customer service would not give me the gift card or student discount, as they said that Apple had not put out guidelines for the new Macbook Airs. I argued for a while, but finally gave up and purchased it regular priced, figuring that I could always bring my receipt to another store and take up the issue with them later. And I wanted the extra Reward Zone points.

The other day I compiled all the research that I figured would help me get the discounts, and went to a different Best Buy than the one I originally purchased the MBA from. I went to customer service and explained my situation, and showed them a printout from Apple's website showing that the MBA is included in their Back-to-School promotion. The guy I was dealing with didn't seem to know what to do, and asked his manager to help him out; she said something like "just do a price match." I have no idea what he did next, but he fiddled around on the computer and then said "okay, you will have $212 back to your Visa." Didn't say anything about a gift card, I was stunned and just smiled and walked out.

The next day I checked my reward zone account, and found that in addition to the discount, he had also processed the transaction as though I bought the computer again, so not only do I have triple points from the original purchase, but also from the "new purchase." This resulted in me having over 5000 points!

So essentially to sum it all up, my price AFTER taxes was $1100, and I got quadruple rewards points. Suffice to say I won't be complaining about not getting my Best Buy gift card!

2. The Expert macrumors newbie

quadruple check if he gave you the money back to your credit card. If he did, you got a heck of a deal there. What do you do with the best buy points you got?

3. oaklandwarrior thread starter macrumors newbie

The money came through back to my bank account today, so it looks like that was final. Not sure yet what I'm going to do with my rewards points yet!

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

So the rewards card is worth it! :p
    I thought they were always trying to haggle me.

5. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

OP, nice!

As for the poster I'm quoting, it's only worth it if you buy from Bestbuy frequently.

Only if Amazon had a rewards program...(not counting the Citi credit card).

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

About 10 years ago I went to Best Buy to purchase a game console as a gift. Best Buy was giving out free gift cards with the purchase I believe it was a 50 dollar card.

After I made my purchase they had me go to customer service to get my free gift card. The customer service person scanned my receipt and had me swipe my debit card. Which at the time seemed odd. Anyway he finished up the necessary paperwork and gave me my free gift card.

Later that month when I got my bank statement I noticed that they had charged me for the item, but then refunded it at customer service. Basically I had walked out of the store with a free console and a 50 dollar gift card.

I didn't want to get someone in trouble so I took my paperwork up to the store and explained the situation to the manager. He told me that it happened from time to time and thanked me for my honesty. He told me to keep the console and the gift card.

8. bluez3 macrumors member

are you sure the guy didnt process your orginal transaction as a return and then repurchase at the lower price? if so, then you lose the triple points on the original purchase and only get the regular points, (points and a half for premier silver memebers), on the price matched visit.

didnt mean to rain on the parade if thats what happened, but if they just processed a credit return without messing with the original reciept, then awesome!

9. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

The Amazon Rewards Visa card gives you a 3% rebate on Amazon purchases.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Thats what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure on my account it takes them 45 days before the rewards points are posted to your account (So that you can't buy something expensive, get points and use them, then return the expensive item).

Even still, you got a good deal on the machine.

11. PaulWog Suspended

While the story is believable and you may be a genuinely real person, I see posts like these from new accounts on many different forums all the time. Your first two (and currently only) posts on this forum are about praising Best Buy & their points system.

Best Buy (and Futureshop Canada) use these tactics. They go online and make accounts on various websites to spread their 'positive experiences' with the franchise. This is done to counterbalance all the issues people have with them (lots of various scamming issues ranging from phoney repairs and many-month-long repairs which result in a lost computer, to warranties which are not honoured, to reselling of used products resealed as if new, to selling a floor product at a discounted price only to deliver a different more beaten up product to the home... ex. a beaten up dishwasher... and there's lots of other issues people have had).

Anyways, I love shopping at Best Buy & Futureshop. I am just extremely careful about it... it's not like shopping at Apple where you'll generally be safe and looked after.