Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeydangerous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
2885841103_2b466fb26a.jpg

Okay, this is just a glitch, because I certainly haven't use my iPhone 3G that much, but how awesome would that be? I do get better battery life than before with 2.1.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
that's because background tasks are broken in 2.1. email fetch for example every 15mins when in sleep mode (on battery) doesn't work.

MJFlash

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Hi, Folks,

Please note that the problem you mention is by no means a universal issue on 2.1 firmware. One poster here did some pretty careful testing, and is suggesting that it is a specific problem with some email server configurations (notably, particular Exchange server configs).

Just to make the point that battery life can in fact be quite good, here's a test that I did just for fun, where I left my phone configured in Airplane mode, but with WiFi and Location Services continuously on, while checking for email every 15 minutes on two IMAP accounts. The results aren't bad at all, considering that I've still got ~~30% of my battery life left!

AirModeBattery.PNG

Cheers!
Mark

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Hi, Folks,

Please note that the problem you mention is by no means a universal issue on 2.1 firmware. One poster here did some pretty careful testing, and is suggesting that it is a specific problem with some email server configurations (notably, particular Exchange server configs).

Just to make the point that battery life can in fact be quite good, here's a test that I did just for fun, where I left my phone configured in Airplane mode, but with WiFi and Location Services continuously on, while checking for email every 15 minutes on two IMAP accounts. The results aren't bad at all, considering that I've still got ~~30% of my battery life left!

AirModeBattery.PNG

Cheers!
Mark

So how do i take of these configurations for the email service? Or did you just get that by not calling anyone for 4 days and keeping it on airplane mode.

MJFlash

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Hi, Rob,

Well, we currently have four iPhones in the house, and just two people! :eek: I just set one of them aside for the test. Note that in addition to the email test, I also played about 1-1/2 hours of Wurdle on it, and browsed for ~1/2 hour too - all on that same charge.

I'm not sure if I understand your question about the email configurations, but I'll take a shot at it. If the conjecture I relayed above is correct, the basic problem for those seeing standby times that nearly equal usage times is caused by the iPhone improperly handling Exchange errors (the original poster traced log files to see the error). Note that the real fix will need to come from Apple, but it's quite possible that your admin could correct the configuration to bypass the error. Sorry I didn't keep a pointer, but that info was posted here within the last two days.

In my case, one of my two accounts is actually an Exchange server, but I'm connecting to it via IMAP (which Exchange does support, although you lose some goodies like automatic calendar and contacts syncing). You'll have to dig to find that original post, but it's presumably possible that your sysadmin could even solve the Exchange configuration problem via the Exchange protocol. Over IMAP, for sure, my tests show absolutely no problem at all with battery life!

Good Luck!
Mark

MJFlash

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Hi, Gang!

Sorry to be off topic, but the reason I undertook this test was primarily to test many folks' assertions that having WiFi and/or Location Services turned on trashed their battery life. I think this shows pretty dramatically that those aren't necessarily the root cause of whatever problems that they're seeing.

Cheers!
Mark

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Hi, Folks,

AirModeBattery.PNG

Cheers!
Mark

Off topic, but how do you take screenshots like that? Other than via the SDK (emulator).

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Off topic, but how do you take screenshots like that? Other than via the SDK (emulator).

You press the home button while simultaneously holding down the power switch. A screen shot will be saved and can be viewed in your photos app.

Regards.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
You press the home button while simultaneously holding down the power switch. A screen shot will be saved and can be viewed in your photos app.

Regards.

:O I can't wait to try it out. Thanks both of you. :)

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
Hi, Folks,

AirModeBattery.PNG

Cheers!
Mark

So, you're saying you turned everything off and you still got that terrible of a battery life? Whoo. Checking for/Fetching e-mail should NEVER drain that much juice.

That said, LS has been fixed so leaving it on won't drain anything, which is a relief.

MJFlash

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Hi, Dranakin!

For clarity, the only thing I turned off was the cellular modem. The phone itself was never turned off, and everything else was On (screen brightness was set to the default of about 30%, with a timeout of 3 minutes, while I was playing games, and occasionally looking at email to ensure that the updates were continuing to occur automatically). Note that it's pretty obvious that if I had the patience, the phone would get well over a week of standby+mild usage battery life in WiFi mode. I'm sure not complaining!

Have Fun!
Mark

mikeydangerous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007

Regards.

That would have been good to know before doing this post! Thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.