Crazy battery life after 2.1!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeydangerous, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mikeydangerous macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Okay, this is just a glitch, because I certainly haven't use my iPhone 3G that much, but how awesome would that be? I do get better battery life than before with 2.1.

2. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

heh, I hope i get that, i just got my 3g today (I upgraded from 1st gen)

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

that's because background tasks are broken in 2.1. email fetch for example every 15mins when in sleep mode (on battery) doesn't work.

4. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Folks,

Please note that the problem you mention is by no means a universal issue on 2.1 firmware. One poster here did some pretty careful testing, and is suggesting that it is a specific problem with some email server configurations (notably, particular Exchange server configs).

Just to make the point that battery life can in fact be quite good, here's a test that I did just for fun, where I left my phone configured in Airplane mode, but with WiFi and Location Services continuously on, while checking for email every 15 minutes on two IMAP accounts. The results aren't bad at all, considering that I've still got ~~30% of my battery life left!

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Mark

5. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

So how do i take of these configurations for the email service? Or did you just get that by not calling anyone for 4 days and keeping it on airplane mode.

6. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Rob,

Well, we currently have four iPhones in the house, and just two people! :eek: I just set one of them aside for the test. Note that in addition to the email test, I also played about 1-1/2 hours of Wurdle on it, and browsed for ~1/2 hour too - all on that same charge.

I'm not sure if I understand your question about the email configurations, but I'll take a shot at it. If the conjecture I relayed above is correct, the basic problem for those seeing standby times that nearly equal usage times is caused by the iPhone improperly handling Exchange errors (the original poster traced log files to see the error). Note that the real fix will need to come from Apple, but it's quite possible that your admin could correct the configuration to bypass the error. Sorry I didn't keep a pointer, but that info was posted here within the last two days.

In my case, one of my two accounts is actually an Exchange server, but I'm connecting to it via IMAP (which Exchange does support, although you lose some goodies like automatic calendar and contacts syncing). You'll have to dig to find that original post, but it's presumably possible that your sysadmin could even solve the Exchange configuration problem via the Exchange protocol. Over IMAP, for sure, my tests show absolutely no problem at all with battery life!

Good Luck!
    Mark

7. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Gang!

Sorry to be off topic, but the reason I undertook this test was primarily to test many folks' assertions that having WiFi and/or Location Services turned on trashed their battery life. I think this shows pretty dramatically that those aren't necessarily the root cause of whatever problems that they're seeing.

Cheers!
    Mark

8. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Off topic, but how do you take screenshots like that? Other than via the SDK (emulator).

9. tinfai macrumors member

You press the home button while simultaneously holding down the power switch. A screen shot will be saved and can be viewed in your photos app.

Regards.

10. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Push the wake/sleep button at the same time. Screen will flash white and the pic will be in your camera roll.

11. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

:O I can't wait to try it out. Thanks both of you. :)

12. dranakin macrumors 6502

So, you're saying you turned everything off and you still got that terrible of a battery life? Whoo. Checking for/Fetching e-mail should NEVER drain that much juice.

That said, LS has been fixed so leaving it on won't drain anything, which is a relief.

13. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Dranakin!

For clarity, the only thing I turned off was the cellular modem. The phone itself was never turned off, and everything else was On (screen brightness was set to the default of about 30%, with a timeout of 3 minutes, while I was playing games, and occasionally looking at email to ensure that the updates were continuing to occur automatically). Note that it's pretty obvious that if I had the patience, the phone would get well over a week of standby+mild usage battery life in WiFi mode. I'm sure not complaining!

Have Fun!
    Mark

14. mikeydangerous thread starter macrumors newbie

That would have been good to know before doing this post! Thanks for the tip.

15. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

mine is getting pretty close to yours, I hope it makes it!