Crazy Crucial Prices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Locatel, Jul 21, 2006.

1. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

Well, I did write them, using their Web form, so they're now reading everything we write. Hi, Crucial! Or shall I say, Bye, Crucial!

2. Locatel thread starter macrumors regular

If you want to stick with Crucial, newegg.com seems a good choice, they are selling the same Crucial memory for $139.99.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I never bothered because even if they stop doing this, I'm not going to buy from them anymore.

4. Locatel thread starter macrumors regular

So far more than 1260 people accessed this thread, looks like they halted the policy after being warned about it. Can other members confirm this? Well, I don't trust them anymore, and I think it should be wise checking for that policy practice before buying from them, now or in the future.

5. raleigh1208 macrumors member

Quick newby question for you experts. I've still got my finger on the trigger to buy a new MBP, but am awaiting the new chip. I intend to buy extra memory from one of the online vendors mentioned in this thread to bump the memory on the MBP up to 2 gb. I see the MBP comes with 1 stick of 1gb. Does that mean I just need to buy 1 more stick of 1 gb ram? I keep reading about "matched pairs" and wondered whether I need to buy 2 new sticks of 1 gb ram? Sorry for my confusion, but thanks for humoring me and thanks in advance for your answers.

Raleigh1208
    --a Mac newby coming over from the dark side

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You see a very slight speed boost on the MBP if you use a matched pair of RAM sticks, but it's not a lot. (The boost is much bigger on machines like the MacBook with integrated graphics.) It's almost certainly not worth buying a whole extra 1 GB stick just to get a matched pair. Just buy the one stick to bring you up to 2 GB total...you'll be pleased with how snappy it is.

7. ohalexis macrumors newbie

Bring it to the top so that everyone knows.

I wonder what happens if this goes publicly on magzines, nespapers...can't wait:p

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, they're still doing it. I'm seeing an up-to-$7 or so swing for the same memory, depending on which tab I'm looking at in Safari... Core Duo Mac mini ($246.16 for 2 GB RAM kit) or Core Solo Mac mini ($253.33 for 2 GB RAM kit).

Not to defend Crucial, but their customer service is really good.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Probably nothing. I wonder how much of their market is made up of the sort of buyer (geeky folks like us) who reads that sort of thing. If somebody little or performance-oriented (OCZ or whatever) did, that'd be different, but Micron is huge.

10. Locatel thread starter macrumors regular

Owc

Ordered a 1GB memory and a Seagate 320GB HD from OWC. It has been a pleasure doing business with them.

11. Demoman macrumors regular

What you do is a little research to find who their stock analysts are and let them know that their shoddy business practices are spreading throughout the IT/computer community. A nice stock downgrade gets people's attention. Also, let me know when you do it so I can short the stock (just kidding SEC).

12. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

Wow ... I had no idea they did this sort of thing. I always noticed their prices were a tad higher than others, but then that is always the case with name brand things. I find the tactics they use to be appalling and I will cease to do business with them until such time that these tactics are stopped.

Too bad for them too, Ive spent 25k with them over the past few years via my Corp. and personal purchases ... guess they've lost my loyalties and the crap load of cash I spend with them yearly. Oh well, their loss.

13. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Crucial has been doing this silly pricing game for I don't know how long :eek: - checking with different OS and browser combinations would show different prices. Anyway, their RAM is way overpriced. :mad: There have been several threads on this topic here before, and I don't think Crucial is going to change their ways anytime soon. ;)

Datamem (http://www.datamem.com) is strongly recommended by many here. I have had positive experiences with OWC (http://www.macsales.com) and TransIntl (http://www.transintl.com). These are better options for individual buyers - cheaper, reliable and lifetime warranties on many of their (RAM) products. :)

14. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

please, enough of the crying. there is nothing wrong with bargaining. not trying to start something here, but why is it always such an alien concept to americans? like they are so accustomed to nation-wide, wal-mart style retail price setting, that the mere suggestion of a seller trying to bargain for a better deal with some customers is considered insidious? i can't believe how many americans i've met don't even try!

i'm not one to say if crucial's automated, cookie-based system is the best way about it, but the fact of it is capitalism. got a problem with it, move to north korea.

15. dunc85 macrumors regular

Erm, how exactly is this bargaining? The user doesn't get to bargain for a lower price.

16. Locatel thread starter macrumors regular

How the hell do you bargain in such a system? Accessing from different computers and different browsers combinations untill you get a lower price? Are you out of your mind? Remember, this is done behind our backs, the only way to find out about these practices is through threads like this one. It's hard to believe this is legal!!! Your misconcept of the word "bargaining" is clear. Capitalism gives you the possibility to shop somewhere else for a better price, through companies that respect its customers, giving them an equal chance of price and quality comparison, so they can decide what's best. Don't tell me Crucial is the umbeatable source for RAM in the competitive, continental USA!!! I will not, ever, support such business practice. To me, it makes difference. Playing this kind of game is like fighting an opponent using a horseshoe inside your glove, without him knowing it.

17. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

This is not some conspiracy theory. People shop, and take the best deal they can find (usually). If crucial is decidedly not the best deal, then don't buy from them.

Stop the whining about how it's not "legal." They can charge whoever they want, whatever they want. it doesn't mean you have to buy it. No business is assigned set price lists (again, see NK if that's your thing). As others have pointed out, it sounds like they are far from the best deal anyhow. So what do you care if you don't buy from them anyway?

Here's a clue: you're in Shanghai and a tout selling fake jade tries to make a sale. Two people walk down the street: one clearly local working male, wearing beaten jeans, and the other a non-chinese speaking white couple carrying a Nikon camera, aloha shirts and sunglasses. Who do you think he's going to offer the better deal? This is no different than what crucial is attempting to do (albeit, I personally think they fail miserably).

Raising a hissy-fit over this kind of bull crap is just pathetic and rather naive.

18. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Raising a hissy-fit about something that obviously doesnt concern you is pathetic as well. But I am not going to say that...oh wait.

19. Locatel thread starter macrumors regular

Crucial is trying to get better deals by analysing the consumer behavior, just like the guy in Shanghai. The difference is that the aloha couple still have a chance to BARGAIN (I'm shure they are at least aware the guy doesn't have a fixed price on the jade). Very different from Crucial's price policy, where you are inclined to think they have a fixed price for everyone, untill you bump into informations like the ones discussed in this thread.
    Crucial has a very reputable name. It gained its reputability by selling top quality products, not fake ones. Unquestionably, it is a serious company when it comes to product quality, it just has this, lets say, bad habit of trying to make you look like a fool (dressed in aloha shirts?).
    I think you missed the point here. I'm not raising a hissy fit, just trying to open some doors, as some people hear and talk about Crucial like the only trusted place in the planet to buy the right RAM for your Mac. Well, we know this is not true. Again, it's not about making Crucial sell less RAM, it's about making forum readers save some money. I think the forums are here so we can share and discuss information to the benefit of everyone taking their time to go through these pages. Pathetic?

Solution to your clue: A local male and a couple? That makes 3 people down the street, not 2...:)

20. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I disabled cookies before the first search on Crucial's website. Then I enabled cookies and got a lower price!!! :D

I laughed...they must think I'm poor or something...haha

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you look in the upper right corner of the header page here, you'll notice that
    Crucial is a sponsor of this site.

No one here is questioning the quality of their products and we do appreciate their customer service department, but they need to stop jerking people around on their prices for Apple compliant DIMMS.

There are thousands of people coming here for advice and we do our best to
    give them the best information available.

That's what MacRumors Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion is all about.

Many donate countless hours helping new members to insure they are satisfied with their new system.

All we're asking for is a little respect and consistent fair pricing.

We are serious, well informed shoppers.

We have no problem taking our business elsewhere with complete confindence.

22. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

The concept is far from alien, as any American who has shopped for a new or used car can attest. The difference is: When buying a car, we know the rules of the game: The pretty lady one cash register over may have been offered a lower price, the wingtipped-executive a higher one. We know that when the salesman tells us, "This is best price I can offer," we should be suspicious.

But in online memory, no one plays this game except Crucial.

Let's say a friend tells you, "Just yesterday, I scoured the Net for the same memory you need and found that ____ has the lowest price."

Fill in the black with any Web vendor but Crucial and you can bank on your friend's advice.

How many of us would still be bitching if Crucial prominently announced its variable pricing policy on their Web site? Close to zero. We'd mutter, "Go to hell" and take our business elsewhere. How do I know? Because nearly everyone who learns the truth does just that.

I'm all in favor of capitalist acts between consenting adults. But when a dealer pretends to be a fixed-price store but isn't, it's no longer about consent. The difference, I dare say, is Crucial.

23. Locatel thread starter macrumors regular

Is Crucial still playing this game? Anyone out there having the same experience?
    Well, lets bring it to the top again to check it out...

24. fba199 macrumors newbie

Don't buy Patriot RAM

I went to Fry's to buy some ram... I know big mistake, but I wanted some RAM for this project I was working on. Worked fine for the first 24 hours then my MBP died on me and wouldn't boot until I removed the newly installed RAM. At least Fry's doesn't have a restocking fee and I'm going to go for OWC.:)

25. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I'm glad that this thread resurfaced as I was not aware of dynamic pricing. So Crucial is on my no-go list.