Crazy eBay mistakes made my newbs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hellenek, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Hellenek macrumors member

Somebody just paid £1,120 for an iPhone on eBay UK. Check out the craaazy last minute bids. Sheeesh!
    Is this the most expensive iPhone bid or have you seen worse?

2. UKLawTalkingGuy macrumors newbie

Take a look at the bid history, it suddenly jumps from circa £375 to £1120 - I suspect its someone looking to disrupt an auction.

The seller sets his stall out well and explains the pros and cons of unlocking. Where I think he's a little 'economical with the truth' is that he compares the cost of buying one from him with buying on in the UK on o2 and signing a contract.

Now, if you have no intention of being on an o2 contract, you can buy one next month for £269 and not activate it, then unlock it - hardly the same as the £900 he uses as a comparative figure.

3. Hellenek thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm seems I'm abit naive about eBay but why disrupt the auction? There're many similar iPhones on sale for about the same price...

4. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Seriously, the fact that the winning bidder has 0 feedback and has only been registered for one day should give a clue that the winning bidder is a scammer. Saying that the seller has only been a member since 9th Oct and only has 1+ feedback and even that has been withdrawn!

Its a scammer getting scammed by a scammer whos trying to scam the other scammer!!!

Too obvious!!!

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Divine justice?

6. Hellenek thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that was quite the scam! This seems to be legit. Would you go for it?
    What's the safest way of buying an (preferably unlocked) iPhone if you don't live in the USA of Europe? I think there'll be major changes with the leopard update and it might get pretty well locked down then.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Haha! the seller is going to get one of those fun emails from the bidders "cousin" or whatever from Nigeria:rolleyes:

8. kwfl macrumors 6502

when this happens, i recieve fake paypal emails and another email saying send the item to my mother in Nigeria

really stupid people.

9. neilp4453 macrumors regular

I was almost scammed when I didn't realize this was going on. A man wanted me to send me my item to Nigeria BEFORE i received payment..now that is a dead giveaway. The only problem is that I closed the auction and when I relisted, I got less than before which sucks.

My cousin had a similar problem with "Nigerians" bidding and doing crazy ****.

Both of us have simply wrote no bids from people from west africa and nigeria.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

or a scammer trying to build an ebay history with a fake sale?