Crazy fan speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hisdem, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Hi all. I just did a fresh install of Lion in my machine, after using SL for about 3 days again. The objective behind this was to try and fix my crazy fans, which, since upgrading to Lion, will run at ridiculously high speeds, even if I am just using 3% of the CPU, and at a temperature below 50C.

I have tried SMC and PRAM resets, cleaning the fans, and nothing. This seems to be a glitch in Lion. Has anyone else suffered from the same problem? If so, did you manage to fix it?

Here's a screen from iStat Pro:

Another note is that my fan speeds no longer increase on a scale, they just boom from 2000 to 6500RPM in a second, and stay there for a while, and then go back to normal. This happens even when I'm not running absolutely anything. Just watching my desktop.

Attached Files:

2. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

That's strange. A SMC reset usually fixes these kind of issues. Have you installed SMC fancontrol or something similar?

3. Hisdem thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Not using any SMC control software... At least not that I know of. :(

I don't really care too much about the fan noise, but the main issue is that my laptop is nearly useless as a laptop because the battery won't last an hour with the fans running at max speed the whole time...

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

So they work properly when using SL?

Did you completely wipe your system before installing Lion?

5. Hisdem thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Positive. Deleted everything but my iTunes library. Actually, I deleted it too, and then imported only it back from my TM backup. The rest was all freshly installed. I will take the computer tomorrow to Apple, but I'm still wondering if I should try another 100% fresh install.

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i would just go ahead and take it to apple.

7. Hisdem thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Left the computer at Apple service today. Problem seems to be a busted sensor. Which will mean that I will end up needing a new logic board. Depending on cost, I might replace it. Still, I was (and still am) very pleased with my MBP.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ah, that's annoying. Big cost to fix a small problem probably.