Crazy for giving up my unlimited plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iapplelove, Jan 18, 2017.

1. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Hello all, just wanted to get some advice here. I'm seriously contemplating ditching my AT&T unlimited data plan for either the 3gb or 6gb plan. Stupid?

I just looked up my data consumption over the last 6 months and I only hit 3gb once. And if I do go over it's just throttled to the next cycle begins. I can save myself almost 50 bucks a month.

The first 5 dollar price spike didn't bother me, but now the unlimited plan is pushing 100 dollars by march. Anyone else finally thinking about downgrading plans??

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I think you should switch and save money. Makes too much sense as you stated yourself you dont go over 3gb much at all and if you do it just slow down.

3. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 601

iapplelove

That's what I'm thinking, I just need some reassurance cause once it's gone it's gone lol

4. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I just gave up my unlimited and now have the 3GB plan. I love it. Plus my bill is low!

5. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It's either now or the next time they increase the price, or the next, or the next...

6. Lihp8270 macrumors regular

2gb is all the data I have on my plan.

It's very rare that I'm without WiFi these days.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68030

I use around 20-30gb a month and even when sprint decides to throttle me it's only during peak times and I don't notice slower speeds around 80% of the time anyways. If you're not using that much data I would seriously suggest changing your plan on AT&T or even Verizon to save the $$$

8. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 601

iapplelove

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated and going to dump the unlimited tonight.

9. Applefan4515 Suspended

Applefan4515

I just gave up my unlimited plan and went to the 3gb mobile share advantage plan. More than likely I'm about to switch to att prepaid though. $40 after autopay enrollment for unlimited talk and text and 4gb sound good to me

10. Apple 26.2, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

I unfortunately gave up my plan when I moved overseas... shoulda kept it, if only for nostalgia :)

Ok, back on point... yeah, if you're seeing not the need and it'll save you some bucks, you're making the right move!

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

If it will save you money, it makes good sense to do this, or even change carriers.

Do it, and don't look back. No regrets. More moneys for new iPhones. And other things (Airpods).

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I just did the same. We used maybe 5-6gb max so we just went with the family share program with 10gb. Save about $100 per month! I swore I would NEVER give it up but it was a waste of money for us.

13. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

If you're saving $50/mo then definitely.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    See what makes sense for you.
    Changing your plan or even changing your carrier is an option when it comes to what works best for you and saves you money.
    You should be loyal to your pocket and not to various carriers IMO.

15. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

sell the plan, they are very expensive to buy. youll make yourself new iphone money.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not always as easy or simple to do.
    And you'll have to give up your phone number when you do that.

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I stayed with Sprint for 15 + plus years (mainly for the unlimited data). With my (at the time) iPhone 6 lease ending January 8, I decided that I had had enough making excuses for myself over the constant page buffering, slow speed, and useless customer service etc. I decided to give up my unlimited data and switch to Verizon. I signed up for the 12 GB for $80 (2 GB bonus each month for life) promotion. That will give me 14 GB a month plus carry over data every other month. Verizon's iOS app, customer service, data speed and coverage has been excellent compared to my experience with Sprint.

If going to a different plan or carrier will save you money, you should do that, in my opinion. Shop around before committing with AT&T again.

18. solo118 macrumors 65816

Switch to Tmobile!! I pay $40 for unlimited everything (granted, I am on a family plan)

If you are in a major city, you should have great coverage. I have no issues anywhere in NYC or NJ

19. mellofello macrumors 65816

I was a huge proponent of T-Mobile. I still love my plan ($150 4x unlimited everything). The new plans however have me really hesitant to recommend them.

20. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 601

iapplelove

I would shop around but I don't really want to get a new phone until the next iPhone, my launch day 6 plus still works amazingly well. What other options do I have owning an AT&T iPhone? TMo?

21. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

You can always unlock the phone to use it with another carrier.

I'm on the same boat as you, hanging onto my 6+ until the next iPhone, however, mines has been giving me problems as of late. Glitchy screen that causes my phone to freeze, it also randomly drops my coverage and says that it has no sim card installed. Matter a fact this phone is starting to act like a grumpy old lady, I know it's a sign for me to upgrade but I refuse to do it, specially now so late in the game I might as well wait.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sell you plan?

You would have to give your phone number away.

Ridiculous!

23. Closingracer macrumors 68030

I live in NYC and I had poor coverage with T-mobile in some areas along with sprint. Manhattan Beach t-mobile was really bad.

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The family share value plans are as good as unlimited now. No overages, and if you get to your limit and are throttled, you may never notice.