Crazy Hacking Idea, Use Iphone SIM in Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by BigOrangeSU, Apr 9, 2010.

1. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Hi-
    I was wondering what would happen if I took my iphone sim card and physically filled it down to a micro sim. Then I placed it in the 3g ipad, would it work on the 3g network? I would then either craft or build some type of an adapter that i could place the filed micro sim into to use in the iphone? Would this work or is there additional protection to prevent that from happening?

Thanks

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

An easier solution would perhaps be to aquire a twin SIM yeah? At least this is the European approch - or are you with AT&T?

3. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I am not sure that would work that simply. The mac address would be read as coming from an ipad and would be blocked by the data servers from AT&T since you don't have the ipad data plan protocol on your account. It may be really tough to pull that off because I would imagine that would require hacking AT&Ts systems to trick it. If this sort of jibber jabber isn't allowed on the forums, please just delete and forgive me please!

4. BigOrangeSU thread starter macrumors regular

I am on ATT and just trying to figure stuff out. I really want to buy an Ipad, but for some reason I just am having trouble justifying the extra 130 to buy the 3g version but feel if I buy the wifi version it's going to come back to bite me. I can see me commuting to work next year on the train and want 3g...and I am just trying to figure out a way to save money possibly. I know there are alternate solutions and different approaches but I was just thinking this for a hacking method.

5. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

wont work with iPhone sim cards. Different size / standard sim. This was announced at the iPads reveal.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

OP stated would file SIM card to appropriate 3FF size.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

which would almost certainly destroy the sim card.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Time to order a few SIM cards to try it out :D I love free SIM cards.

9. BigOrangeSU thread starter macrumors regular

I think its possible. Its the same chip its just the surrounding plastic is bigger. You need to be super careful but with the right tools, I think it can be done!

10. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I used to switch the sim card from my iphone into a pay as you go phone when I didn't want to risk damaging the iphone, and it worked.

11. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Wrong. You obviously have no idea about how micro-sims work. The actual chip / connector is the same exact size as the full size sim, just with less plastic around it. It was invented to put into smaller sized electronics, so it's kinda funny that it's in such a large device. I think the choice was to keep people from popping their iPhone sim into their iPad, but one has to wonder how long before the iPhone gets this smaller standard?

There was a thread about this awhile back. The general consensus seemed to be that this was possible, but would need to be cut down with an adapter made for the iPhone. I also believe adapters are available for sale online. Nobody will know for sure though until the 3g comes out.