Crazy idea? buying iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by California King, Jun 9, 2008.

1. California King macrumors 65816

I was just pondering this idea after the announcement of the new 3G iPhone and I'd like to know if this is a good/bad idea. I currently have an iPod Touch 16Gb which I bought for $400 and it's great, but there's some features missing that I want. The biggest feature is the speaker. I'd love to listen to music w/o using headphones and it makes showing friends a song much more convenient. In addition, there's some other stuff that the iPod doesn't have but want; such as the volume rocker and camera.

So I was thinking that I should sell my iPod Touch and get either the 8 or 16 gb iPhone w/o the phone plan and use it just like an iPod. Bad idea?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

3. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

That sucks. Maybe I can buy one off of eBay? Will it possibly work that way? Is the idea of selling iPod/buying iPhone even a good idea?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Buying one off of ebay would just end up costing you more. Because someone would still have to activate it and then pay the cancellation fee. Using the phone as an iPod could work, I guess, but there's really no point to it.

5. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's a good point. Well, would you still have to activate it if you bought it online at apple.com? I guess if it turns out costing more, I definitely won't do it.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure that if they're gonna make you activate it at the store, that they'd be smart enough to close the lurking loophole on the internet. If every other phone can be activated before it gets shipped to you, why would this be any different? They'll probably drop iTunes activation altogether.

7. rjflyn macrumors regular

Doesnt say anything about subsity on apples site. The same requires activation disclaimer is up that has been there with the old iPhone. We all know how may phones are not being used with ATT dont we. People have used it as a ipod before the ipod Touch existed and probably will after.

Activation is in Itunes anyway. Nothing says I have to activate the phone part.

Until anyone actually activates a 3G phone however anything is pure speculation and conjecture so until July 11 take every thing you read unless its directly from Apple or ATT with a grain of salt.

Also nothing says i have to use the 3G part either. If it gets hacked and unlock i can use the 2G part on Tmobile like the old phone.
    Rj

8. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. Guess I'll probably stick with my iPod or consider getting the iPhone with the phone plan.

9. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll just have to hope for the best then. :)

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure that the AT&T execs will get what they want. I suggest that you listen to the conference call that I posted or read the other thread that I linked to. They're closing loopholes, which is perfectly reasonable. You can't seriously think that they're selling the phone for $199 while making a profit.

Just don't forget that the real promise of the iPhone/iPod touch is the software. Any hardware extras are just small bonuses. After all, they did manage to talk about the software for like 75% of the morning session today.

11. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

How about just getting a slightly used EDGE iPhone from eBay. After this announcement, I'm sure many people will be selling their old iPhones.

True that they're only small bonuses, but I think they're worth it for me. I use my iPod a lot, even at home.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

I think that there will still be a lot of people wanting to unlock. And they'll be going after the 1G, which will keep the prices up.

13. theGAPkid macrumors regular

Im in the same position as the OP

My 16GB iPod touch is up for sale on eBay at the minute. And when/if that sells, im gonna set my sights on an iPhone. Ill see if I can update my contract with 02 first, if not, ill try and get an original iPhone where I can use my current contract..

Sound reasonable plan you reckon?

:S

14. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

What if you buy it from the Apple Store? I doubt they'd require you to sign a 2 year contract from the Apple Store, nor at the online Apple Store. Just get it, unlock it, and you're good to go.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Once again, you didn't listen to the conference call. They clearly talk about how the price is subsidized with the contract. It has to be activated in the store. They're not gonna make it impossible through AT&T but leave Apple as a loophole. That would just be stupid.

16. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you know how people will be able to give an iPhone as a gift? I hope they at least make it an option to activate it at home, but doesn't seem very likely.