Crazy Macbook Pro behaviour

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alex00100, Jun 23, 2016.

1. alex00100 macrumors regular

Hi everyone!
    I have 2011 Macbook Pro and until now everything's been fine, no issues, no GPU failures. However a few weeks ago I replaced optical drive with an ssd and reinstalled OS on it. Performance's been terrific since then but it started to do crazy things. For example I can't view items as a list in finder, the files area looks corrupted and any window I drag over it leaves an image on it. If I press get info there's some corruption in some areas on the window too. Sometimes when I click on any icon in the dock instead of activating the app it opens finder window and shows the app location there. Or sometimes when I click anywhere it clicks half an inch to the right of where the cursor is. When I use quick look in finder it's always blank or shows no items selected. I have mac os 10.9.5.
    Is this what people call "gpu failure"? I only got it after I reinstalled the OS.
    Thanks.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Have you still got the original drive in with the OS and everything on it??? You may well be confusing the computer running two drives with an OS etc on each.

Also you are better off putting the SSD in the main drive bay and moving the HDD to the optical bay as there are reports of issues with the SSD in the optical bay. You may then want to wipe the HDD for storage or set the whole volume p as a fusion drive.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Try to determine if your Mac OS X User Account is corrupted by creating a new User Account in System Preferences, logging out of you current account, logging into the new account and observing the behavior.

4. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I read about that and that's what I did. I also reformatted the HDD to get rid of old OS. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I never heard about such issues before but THAT WAS EXACTLY IT! Thank you so much! I guess it happened because I transferred my account data from old OS and something corrupted along the way. Should I just create a new account and delete the old one? There's probably no way to just reset an account.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Good to hear as the alternatives are probably worse.

Just start over with a slightly different User name, copy your files over (several ways to do this) and start from scratch with your settings.