Crazy MBP Weirdness, looks like Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iammike1, May 9, 2012.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

So I'm reading a news article this morning and my 2011 MBP 2.0 i7 just powers off then begins trying to boot back up. 5 or so seconds into the boot up it powers down again. It does this cycle a few times before I force power down and start trying to troubleshoot.

End result is after much troubleshooting leading me nowhere, I brought it to work with me to mess with. Got to work, tried to turn it on off of battery and....nothing. Press the battery indicator button, nothing.

I did a PRAM and SMC reset and since then, all symptoms have changed and become clearer.

I get 5 LED flashes from the sleep indicator when I power on. I get 5 LED flashes from the battery indicator when I press that button. In OS X it says "Condition: Replace Now" for the battery.

All of these things point to a battery that has gone bad after only 3 charging cycles. For those interested, here are the battery details from System Information right now:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: D861121022FDGDLAH
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Device Name: bq20z451
    Pack Lot Code: 0
    PCB Lot Code: 0
    Firmware Version: 406
    Hardware Revision: 2
    Cell Revision: 158
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 0
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 0
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 3
    Condition: Replace Now
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 10654

Before I spend $20 round trip to drop my laptop off at Apple Shibuya only to have to spend another $20 to pick it up later, is there anything else I could try before throwing in the towel and turning it in for warranty?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, but that does indeed look like a bad battery, although it could also be something external to the battery itself, but certainly hardware. If you want to save the money, you can call Apple and see if they'll send you a box to ship it in, but it very well might take longer overall, so it's probably in your best interests to take it in yourself.

jW

3. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Nice to atleast know what the problem is. Here in Sweden Im quite certain you would be entitled to get the money for the transport refunded as part of the warranty of a faulty item. I suppose its not the same for you since you arent mentioning it. Too bad.

4. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Well, looks like its the battery for sure. Guess its off for some warranty coverage.