Crazy new terms & conditions - iTunes 8

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diatribe, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Did anyone read the new terms and conditions???

When you're outside of the US (even temporarily) you cannot buy from the iTunes store anymore. Are they nuts?

So that means if you're on vacation you cannot shop in the iTunes Store anymore?

Apple has seriously lost it. :mad:

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I suspect that is to do with the music companies licensing rather than Apple. I also suspect that if you have a credit card with a US address or US gift certificates you'll be fine.

Just as a add on I'm amazed that anyone bothers to read the terms and conditions.

4. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

The terms & conditions say that you're not allowed to anymore and that they may take measures to enforce it. So while you still are able to buy it from outside of the US you are breaking the license agreement, which means they could shut down your account at will.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm in the US and just bought from the UK store. Nothing stopped me doing it, will Steve Jobs ninjas come get me?

6. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

As I wrote above, nothing is stopping you right now but you are clearly breaking their terms, which in return gives them all the right to suspend your account.
    Although they might never enforce it the simple fact that they put it in there is criminalizing everyone doing it.

What about people on vacation, work trips, or people who live in more than one country?

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I'm sure Apple will never seriously pursue a civil (this could never be criminal) case against a customer for a legitimate use of the iTunes Store.

This is probably added in because of licensing agreements with the content producers.

8. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

does this have to do with itunes being banned in china incident b/c of songs for tibet? and/or music companies?

i'm glad i don't live outside the u.s. anymore

9. Duflul macrumors newbie

I doubt apple really cares, it's just another sale they can boast about in their next keynote. They just put it in there to keep the production companies/studios quiet.

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Sure, but they could start filtering by IP address to restrict access (as lot of online video sources do).

Have you guys in the US ever been able to watch the BBC live steams? Same idea.