Crazy problems with 10.6.4 on my MBA1,1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by upaymeifixit, Oct 26, 2010.

1. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

All of a sudden I've been having weird problems with my MacBook Air. I've been using it a lot in bootcamp lately. It started with a lot of different problems, but they seem to be disappearing.

So here is the last current problem. I get into my account and Finder starts, but it isn't responding. I have the option to relaunch it, but when I do it still goes back to it's not responding state. I've tried repairing permissions.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me.

2. Guac macrumors newbie

Go back to 10.6

i'm also a MBA 1,1 owner.

in the past few weeks, i've been in beach ball hell because of 10.6.4. at first, i thought it was the normal heat issues/kernel panic/flash problems i've had for the past 2 years.

but then these beach balls persisted even when i wasn't browsing the internet. i require a pass code unlock when my laptop awakes. so i also noticed that after inputing the pass code and hitting enter, i'd have to wait a good 10 seconds before it finished. i thought my hard disk was dying.

i dug out the snow leopard install disc and reinstalled 10.6.0. problem solved. my MBA is back up and running fewer beach balls from hell.

Guac

3. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It looks like I'm going to have to try this. If I have bootcamp installed do you know if reinstalling would erase my bootcamp partition?

Thanks for responding.

4. Guac macrumors newbie

sorry. i have never used bootcamp. i wouldn't be the best person to ask for that subject.

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I've reinstalled Snow Leopard with a Boot Camp partition of Windows 7 along side it. If you just erase and reinstall the partition with OS X on it, the Boot Camp partition will remain untouched. You'll be able to boot back into Windows and it will look as if nothing had happened at all.