Crazy RAM prices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sahni130, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

Hello,
    So i was looking to buy more memory for my iMac and realized DDR3 prices have gone up significantly. matter f fact, have they not doubled? in December of 2012 i purchased 8GB of PC12800 (2x4GB) Samsung branded so-dimms for $40 from amazon and from what I remember, 16GB was around $80. What the heck happened and can we expect prices to come down at all?

-jay

2. blanka macrumors 68000

They used some weather anomaly to get the price level back to a decent one for doing business. Guess there was no profit any more on RAM last time you bought it, and then it is nice if Mother Nature helps you reset the business to normal conditions. But Moore will start munching into the price soon again.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Ram prices have always fluctuated like this....the only advice is to wait....you can be sure they will start falling again shortly.

4. cube macrumors G5

There was a fire at an SK Hynix plant in China, that's why.

The prices started to go back down now.

5. Shuri macrumors 6502

Additionally to the reasons stated above, the point is: PC sales are dropping. So at first you might think prices would drop because the market is over saturated, but this would be the case only for a short period. Companies produce less modules, but the production costs don't go down as much, because its efficiency drops as well.

This is not isolated to RAM prices, this is going to happen to PC prices as well. The less people buy them, the more expansive they get, the more people buy tablets or consoles for their personal needs, the less people buy PCs.

6. wetcanvas macrumors regular

8 months ago I bought 16 gb 1600 mhz 2 x 8 gb for 99 dollars. now its 144-150 bucks. 160 if you want decent timings. im not paying that much of a markup I can wait.

7. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

What effect do you think that the introduction of DDR 4 will have, if any, on the prices of DDR3? When do you think prices will decrease to previous levels?

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I was about to order 8gb of RAM online until I saw the prices and the apple store sold me some for cheaper.

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

That's definitely the first time anyone's ever written that on the internet... :)

10. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I know a lot of us like to get good deals but you're paying say $50 more than you would have paid last year. Who cares.. you use your computer everyday, $50 for a nice speed bump, I wouldn't hesitate or "wait" for prices to come down. If I used my computer once a month then I would hold out but not for a daily use device.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Believe me I know, they sold me 8gb of RAM for 140 bucks. It was for a mbp and at the time it was about 160 online shipped to my house.

12. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

oh, I definitely went ahead and ordered more ram, actually from a forum member RW3, here. 16 additional gigs for $130, can't beat it. I was just wondering what happened in the ram industry.

13. jsrocket macrumors newbie

Yep, I definitely have noticed the spike in prices, I've put off a 16GB purchase for a machine for awhile until they come back down.

14. jtara macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, we are vulnerable to an overly-concentrated supply for a number of computer commodity components, including, particularly, RAM and hard drives. Any disruption to this overly-concentrated supply will be costly and create strategic problems. Earthquakes, tsunamis, war, accidents, etc. etc. can be quite disruptive in such a market.

I'm surprised governments haven't stepped-in to diversify supply. It's not just a matter of prices, but it can affect health and safety. What if you simply could not buy RAM or hard drives at any price? (Of course, there is always a price, but it has to come out of *somebody's* supply...)

We've gone overboard with economy of scale.

15. episcientist macrumors newbie

+1 on the Apple store being cheaper (or at least not a rip off). I exchanged my base Retina MBP for the mid-range model. I realized with today's crazy prices $200 for an extra 4GB paired RAM and 128GB flash storage is actually a good deal!

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Apple Store not being a rip-off depends on a few factors. I went for 16GB installed from Apple on my iMac but only because I use the Store for Education and get that discount and I wanted to be able to add another 2x8GB without needing to remove/replace anything. For me, that made the higher price, even considering the edu discount worth it. YMMV

As I write this the Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) set for the Mac is $139 at Amazon. I got it when it was $135, about $55 less than what I paid for the Apple stock RAM.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Most likely the prices will go up as more DDR4 is used. Just look at how expensive it is to buy DDR and DDR2 these days.

18. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes, once any technology becomes obsolete the prices will rise as fewer companies make or stock it.

Back in the 1990's when I was using "white box" PCs I built, I went to add RAM to one of them and the price of the "obsolete" memory was so high that it was less expensive to replace the motherboard, processor, and buy entirely new current RAM than add the old RAM.

19. gochi macrumors 6502

hmmm interesting...

can anyone go over the prices?

20. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Pick some RAM with a lifetime warranty, buy it used from people who upgraded to a rMBPs and insist on the receipt.