Crazy ram usage.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nutman, Jun 19, 2007.

1. nutman macrumors regular

I opened activity monitor and my page in is almost equal to my page outs. I am using an MBP 2.13 C2D with the default one gig of ram. I have mail, adium, itunes, safari, and transmission open. It has been on for about nine hours now. Can someone identify if there is something wrong? I have ordered more ram already, but is the new itunes just more ram hungry?

[​IMG]

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Your computer is fine, it is just begging for more RAM :) when you get more RAM this problem should go away

3. one1 macrumors 65816

Something IS wrong indeed. Those 5 programs are not going to crank that book out that far. I have a 17" G4 PB with a gig of ram and I can run Photoshop, mail, Safari with two tabs open, AND Firefox in a split screen and still not turn ONE SINGLE PAGE OUT.

This is what my book looks like under the circumstances listed above:

[​IMG]

It sounds like your extensions might be one thing doing it, check and turn off what you do not need.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the machine actually lagging? Could it be Transmission temporarily storing info in your RAM before writing them to the disk, and therefore causing these figures?

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Considering the page in/out ratio, it seems like you must have had something open that was consuming a bit of RAM. But from your screenshot, you have plenty of free and inactive RAM (inactive is as good as free) — over half of your total — so if that's how things normally are, you already have plenty.

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i have exactly the same stats as you mentioned (in an iMac)...and i run all of those at once with ease...the only time my comp lags is when i've got these open

photoshop cs3
    googleearth
    safari
    iTunes
    pages
    adium
    mail

but it's mainly googleearth and photoshop respobsible for that...although if i close the others down i'm fine

7. one1 macrumors 65816

If he's paging out as much as he is paging in, he needs more ram. All free and inactive mean is that whatever programs he is not running right now that he normally does are keeping him from going onto constant VM. Going by what he said, his computer idles at this setting seen above and opening any extra programs have him shoved into VM hard enough to bring his out's to the level of his in's. It's choking on the applications when not at idle.

8. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Reboot the MBP and see is the same thing occurs again when running the same programs.

I'm running a Mac Pro with 16GB of Ram and normally I don't get a single page out. However during the weekend whilst messing around with Windows under Parallels 3.0 I noticed lags and a lot of disk activity when installing XSI 5.0 in the VM. Checking Activity Monitor revealed a ton of Page Outs. I rebooted and all was well again.
    Sometimes some app or thread goes bezerk and perhaps uses up more than it's share of 32bit allocatable (or physically available in your case) ram and page outs occur.