Crazy/Random Temperature Warning... anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by samcraig, Oct 31, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm on an iPhone 4 - 4.1.

Yesterday I was at a store and went to look at an incoming email and my iPhone displayed the temperature warning and would not respond (i.e. said to wait for it to cool down).

Now - the phone was cool to the touch (not cold but not at all warm). And I hadn't really "used" the phone for quite a while. No apps were running or in the quick switch dock.

I rebooted and everything was fine.

Was just curious if anyone else experienced something similar before?

2. SpudGT macrumors member

I experienced something similar. My iPhone 4 was sitting on my desk, normal room temperature and no direct sunlight. I picked it up to check email and got the temperature warning.

I rebooted the phone and have not seen the temp warning again.

3. Paisan3466 macrumors newbie

Same here, very rare and random though. It has happened to me twice since getting it the first day it was out. Like you said, a simple power cycle fixes it.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

thanks. not "worried" - just thought it peculiar.

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

This seems to solve the problem for those who suffer from the random, non-heat related temperature warnings.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if it's fixed by a reboot then some intensive app got stuck in an endless cycle...

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

if that's remotely true - it's not a 3rd party app. As I said - NO app was running on my "task" bar

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

so you are saying that apple 1st party apps don't get stuck? ;)

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I would never say that. They might tar and feather me!

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That doesn't make any sense.

1) If an app "got stuck", the phone would be noticeably warm.

2) Apps can't run in the background long enough for this to happen.

3) I've had it happen with only Apple apps open.

4) The thing that most people report is that it happens when they receive a text message.

12. exemos macrumors member

Happened to me 2 times, randomly as well. Took it to the Genius Bar, the guy saw that it had happened twice and bam! He replaced my iPhone.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If it happens once or twice then something is stuck, if it happens many times or in increments then the sensor is damaged, there are no virus here and unless you jb and played w/ stuff there shouldn't be any other cause...

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There shouldn't be a lot of bugs in a lot of software, but they still happen.

IMO it's an iOS bug.

15. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It just happened to me for the first time. iPhone (4) was sleeping and on my desk, not remotely warm. I turned it on and got the warning.

I waited a couple of minutes and it was then fine. I rebooted it just to do it, but hopefully doesn't happen again-

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I agree that it could be a bug also, the only thing is that there haven't been enough people w/ the problem, so my guess is that the few that have had it, may be having a specific setup not used by the majority that is causing the bug...

17. kuctonkucton201 macrumors member

That might be true.

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Or it's just not been posted about much since a simple reset works. You can argue either way. There's no real way to say how many people have experienced it or not

19. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

It's THERMOSTAT-GATE. Somebody call ArsTechnica!

20. waggy macrumors newbie

I've literally just had this issue (hence, new member. hi all) and worried me greatly. The room was average temperature and the phone still cool to touch.

Would be interesting to know the cause of this, though im glad others have experience the issue too, and their phones continue to seem fine

21. OceanView macrumors 65816

This just happened to me a few minutes ago.
    The strange this is that even after a roboot my Wifi does not seem to work now. I am about 5 feet from the wifi router so signal is not the issue.
    I've turned the wifi on and off on the phone but it does not show the wifi signal.
    My phone is jailbroken but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

22. grodgers macrumors member

Same thing happened to me today.

iPhone sitting on my desk - in a cool room - not plugged in. Nothing happening - a call comes in and before I can answer it throws the TEMPERATURE warning up!

First time this ever happened to me, but I'm going to watch it.

23. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

has happened once to me in the past. The phone was in my pocket, certainly not cold...but no where close to hot or even warm, it was very slightly warm. I got a call and reached to grab my phone and then BOOM, got hit with the message and missed my call.

24. jm5309 macrumors regular

It just happened to me too. Phone was on a table, not at all hot, and I got an incoming call. Before I could answer it gave me the temperature warning. It only took a few minutes for it to be functional again, but still. Quite annoying.

25. Willyboy24 macrumors newbie

Just now happened to my iPod 4th Gen running the iOS version 6.1.3. Scared the crap out of me too because it was plugged into the charger and I hadn't touched it in about 4 or 5 hours and I went to pick it up and it had the warning. I picked it up and, as most others have found out, it was cool to the touch and a reboot didn't fix it... Then I rebooted it again, and it works just fine. Has anybody else had to reboot twice?