CRAZY remote feature

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sgtboy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. sgtboy macrumors 6502

I hooked up remote, played it, cool

Turned off PC, went to ipod and hit remote...MY COMPUTER TURNED ON!!!

2. bazooka macrumors newbie

Sweet! I thought it controlling the volume and even the rating stars on itunes from the Touch was deep!

3. fake1009 macrumors member

WHAT!?! you are saying that I can turn on my PC (HP computer) with the apple itunes remote!!! WOW!

4. Squires macrumors regular

Squires

5. Protosome macrumors newbie

I'm not able to get my ipod detected as a remote by iTunes. I have the checkbox selected in my preferences to allow such things, but it isn't picking it up. I have the app dled and installed. Any suggestions?

6. rioting macrumors member

the you have a setting on your computer that allows that? I tried on my PowerBook, MacBook, and HP Desktop and it won't work.

7. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

It's entirely possible that he was the 'turn on through network' option turned on in the bios, although this usually means that the bios recognises the wifi network, something very very very unusual. It's theoretically possible to work on the mac, but I'm not sure if you can turn it on by network access like that.

8. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Yes, this is probably the result of Wake on LAN, and entirely feasible. Just because the iPod touch is wireless doesn't mean his computer has to be. He could still have it wired via Ethernet through a router and enjoy the benefits of WOL.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You think that's bad, I hit the remote button on my iPod touch and the house next door exploded!

So far I've taken out half the suburb.

10. rioting macrumors member

OMG. I just tried again to see what would happen and...
    ALIENS JUST LANDED IN MY HOUSE IN THEIR APPLE SHAPED UFO!!

11. Protosome macrumors newbie

I meant that I had the option checked in itunes to search for remote devices. Does this app work when the computer being controlled is on the LAN and the iPod is over Wi-Fi?

12. MvdM macrumors regular

Did you run the WALL-E app?

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, as long as they are on the same network it doesn't matter if the iMac is connected via ethernet cable or wifi.

14. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

I like it too, but I want coverflow in the Remote!

15. sixmac macrumors member

you can control two macs at the same time, totally pointless but still nifty (one is airport one is wired into the wireless router), next i would like to be able open itunes, wake a computer from sleep or turn it on and why not shut it down while your at it :D

16. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

You can wake your computer with the remote feature:D

17. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

This remote thing could be used as a great prank on my roommate at college! When isnt there, Ill type in the code, then Ill be able to control his iTunes from across the room without him knowing! LOL

18. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

I've already scared my girlfriend a few times while she was using my mbp:D

19. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

sooner or later, we will be available to use iphone, ipod touch as universal remote. you can control almost all electronic devices in your home. I think that it is possible. wifi is so cheaper to set up.

20. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

are you using it properly? what you need to do is click on add library then with itunes open look for a new device listed in there (I think its called itunes remote), click on that in itunes then enter the code that appears on the touch and then your paired.

yeh that it the fun part, I had paired my macbook and PC and without any interuption I could switch between the two changing tracks with no effort at all god bless the little things in life :D