Crazy School

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redking31591, Feb 17, 2009.

1. redking31591 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. I just got my first mac this weekend and I was really excited about getting to use it at high school but my principal just dropped a bombshell on me. Because my school has a rule against cell phones and ipods in the classroom they have decided to include laptops in this. He said that outside laptops might infect their system with viruses and we might use unwanted programs on them. This sucks. I take two online classes and am already having a hard time using a slow laggy windows computer. What would be some good arguments to get him to allow me to use it at school?

2. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

The best thing to do

would be get a petition signed, first get it signed by as many students as you can. Than make a petition for there parents and get the students to take it home for the parents to sign.

3. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Deal with it.

Seriously, in High school, I see no need for me to bring my notebook. I'm in 3 AP classes, 1 of which is highly lecture-based, and consists entirely of note-taking, and I don't really feel all that lost not having my notebook.

I don't even take it to class with me at university.

The school is right, if they don't want kids bringing less-expensive items, and less advanced technology, why would they let you bring something even more distracting, and more expensive. Allowing you to bring the notebook would mean they'd have to cater to everyone, and allow other electronics such as cell phones.

While I'm sad I can't listen to my music during school, I can't argue. If someone's expensive machine is broken at school, or stolen, there WILL be at least one family who will blame it entirely on the school, causing legal issues.

There's too many negatives to outweigh the positives. Those slower computers have allowed many kids to pass online courses, I think you might get by.

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Why is that a problem if all of your classmates are using the same system? Unless you are implying that they are more competent than you in dealing with this...

5. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

you really don't need a computer with you in high school. that's retarded.

someone is going to steal it from you.

plus why lug around more crap than you want to? when iw as in high school my backpack was always full of books, adding 5lbs of laptop would seriously cause me some problems. lol.

it's fine, just deal with it. ipods and cell phones though.. that's retarded! we were allowed to use our cell phones outside [not inside the building] and ipods if we WERENT in class. your school is kind of strict with that.

6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i agree with the school.

having laptops at school will only increase the chances of having it stolen.

also, schools don't need to spend their time troubleshooting outside computer issues. they often have their own convoluted way of accessing the network

they need to spend their already scarce resources on making sure kids get their education

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There's no reason to bring a laptop to class. That's just being plain spoiled. People have been graduating from the highest colleges for more than 50 years and it was all done on pen and paper. Today's kids are spoiled and just want the laptop for Facebooking and instant messaging and bragging rights in class. I'm with the school's policy as well.

8. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

The high school's in my area provide MacBooks for every student. Those schools expect more and more of the students work to be done on a computer. They have a Google Docs system set up, so the students do their work on their computer, and then send it to the teacher. I've heard that Facebook and Instant Messaging are blocked at the schools, so the students can't mess around. They also have digital textbooks for some classes, so they don't have to carry as much.

Times are changing :rolleyes:

But if you school doesn't like the idea of computers in class, just respect that decision.

9. Doju macrumors 68000

Amen.

HLDan, just because you used a tablet and chisel, doesn't mean technology isn't changing. Most of us can type alarmingly quicker than we can print, so there's no need to use a pencil if you have a computer at your disposal. The extra time gained can be used revising it, making more notes, editing it, etc.

10. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I'd have a problem with just respecting a rule because it exists, but seriously why? If you're set-up for computer based learning, there's no reason for you, if you don't have some kind of handicap, to have to bring your computer to school.

It firstly wouldn't be fair to the other students who don't bring a computer to school, that don't want to bring one to school or that just couldn't afford one. You get an advantage over them, kind of like have a programmable calculator when everyone else has a scientific calculator.

Secondly, you'd be quite a brat.

Get the administration to have proper working computer.

11. Sergeant Pepper macrumors member

Why does bringing a computer to school automatically make you a brat? Maybe he can take notes faster typing than he can writing. Saying that "kids only want Facebook and IM" is an incredibly unfair generalization.

12. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I am also in high school, and our school allows iPods, but not cell phones. Cell phones, if seen in the building, are taken, but may be used outside in a designated area during free periods only. They do not allow laptops, and that is completely reasonable in my opinion. Honestly, at school, I only need a computer two to three times per week, and while hand writing notes does get annoying after long periods of time, it is not that big of a pain. I agree with the no laptops policy for liability reasons as well as just the distractions. Many people I know, including myself, get distracted very easily, and the laptops just add to the distractions. I do not think your school is crazy, and I certainly don't think you are either. I think they made the right decision, and you would be intelligent to honor it.

The iPods, I think, are a bit excessive though. Really, phones can be used for cheating, but iPods (it is possible) are very difficult to use to cheat. I think the simple no-iPods-in-class rule my school has is very effective for stopping iPod-based cheating. I have never seen anyone at my school using an iPod in class, but if you go into the library or cafeteria at any time during the day, about 50-60% of kids are using one at any given time.

13. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I"m not sure I understand you completely...was that response supposed to be at me or the OP? If it was at me I'm not sure it made sense (or I just didn't read it right, which is 100% possible).

All I was saying is what my local High School (and the middle school now too, if my newspaper is correct) gives all students a MacBook. They ALL have them. So...they aren't brats. They have to have them at school. If you weren't responding to my post then just ignore this...:D

14. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

A few schools in out area are doing this as well. They are leasing out the Polycarbonate Macbooks. I went to one of the schools to check it out, sadly they ordered before the nVidia changeover.

Anyway, I see why they don't want them in school. Some teachers want students to learn through taking notes with a pencil and paper. I have nothing against paper or computer, but we all had to deal with some bogus rules in school. When you get to college, I'd recommend always having your laptop...

I remember my AP Chem teacher wouldn't allow us to use an electronic device to take notes. I usually type them up on my netbook in other classes (marketing, physics, etc) for neatness and she wouldn't accept them for a notes check. She wanted it written out, in longhand. :eek:

My school did allow personal computer in Social Study Hall (where you could go to the library and use their Wi-Fi). Rules are different at each school; the best you can do is respect them and just do the best with what you have. No need to show off a laptop in class...

15. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Some colleges now require a computer. As time advances, so does technology. But with that, the change isn't coming overnight. Eventually, or so I think, high schools will require or allow computers in the classrooms. But I do agree with your school on this one; making the change is far to early. Most kids in high school, from my stand point, are far to irresponsible with other people's belongings. If I brought a laptop, it would probably be wrecked by a few kids messing around. That or stolen.

16. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Yet, with every single student being allotted a notebook, this reduces, almost eliminating issues like theft, and legal issues with families who freak out because Johnny dropped his phone in the hallway and it got stepped on or something.

17. Paintball613 macrumors member

While your school is right, you shouldn't be bringing your Mac to school as it might get stolen. But... If they never included notebooks, or a general electronics rule at the beginning of the school year they can't just add it in. If I remember right, in at least my school district we had to agree to the rules at the beginning of the year. So those were the rules we would follow, I don't see it being right for them to add new rules just for a single person. And laptops don't fall into the cellphone/iPod category. You could tell your principal that you would only use it for your online classes, and also say it would help you when you want to work at home for those classes, like a report etc.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm curious, what if you don't connect to the school's network?

Talk with the teachers: see if they agree with this ban, or if they'd be willing to discuss the issue with the administration.

19. TheScavenger macrumors regular

Hmmm, a macbook for every high school and middle school kid. I am going to guess there are around 2000 kids combined in those two schools.

2,000 kids x $1,000 Macbook = $2 million on laptops

WOW :eek:

I thought I was cool when I got to use a Power Mac G4 in high school. Those were the days LOL.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You're the one paying for school right? They can't say no; have you parents write a note.

21. zorahk macrumors 6502

My highschool allows phones / ipods, but if you are caught using a phone to cheat you might get the teacher on your ***.

As for computers, most people bring them wednesdays/fridays for study hall if at all. A lot of people I know bring their macbook pros. Rarely do they get stolen, if ever. The one I know got stolen was from someone who left it on a day he had P.E. in his locker. Most smart people don't bring it on the days they have P.E. I have brought my macbook pro in my sig with me a few times since getting it and have never had any issues.

22. TheScavenger macrumors regular

I don't think I would ever give my child a $2000 MBP to take to high school with them. Actually, I don't know anyone who would do that for their kid. On second thought, I would let them choose between a car or a MBP. I think a netbook would be more than sufficient for school.

That sounds like a pretty solid recipe for trouble.

23. TheScavenger macrumors regular

That is really bad logic.

24. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

In my high school cell phones are a big problem so they are not allowed except at lunch, but f your seen with a cell phone inside it is automatically taken away and your parents have to come pick it up. Although iPods are allowed in certain classes depending on the class. In art class everyone can listen to their ipod (or MP3 player) but only when the teacher is not talking and it is like that for most of the classes, the teachers get to make the rule for their own classroom. As for laptops, they are allowed in my school except only in the Tech Center/Library where they have monitored wifi, or in an english class but only for typing, or using a online website called criterion. My school is pretty awesome.. They just suggest that no one brings them, because of the chance that they will get stolen. Even in our student contracts there is a part that says I understand that if i bring an electronic device to the school it is my responsibility and the school has no responsibility for it if it is lost, stolen, or broken, except if it is broken by a staff member. And me and my parents signed it... I really don't think it would be a good idea to bring a laptop to school though, at my school if someone doesnt have it they steal it soo i put locks on my backpack (no joke)

25. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

In my school (UK) theres no rule against laptops, in fact most people cart around MacBooks or iBooks (me included). They are really useful for classes where you can give presentations etc and take notes fast. Heck the point about bringing viruses in, point out its a Mac and doesn't have any and cant bring them onto a Windows network (get IT to confirm this). Tell him that any "unwanted programs" would be your responsibility not theirs and that they cannot tell you off as its your hardware, not owned by the school district. Also, point out that you'll do it anyway, and that FaceBook and IM should be being blocked by your school independently.