crazy situation, using intel drive to install tiger to ppc pbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tompouk, Mar 9, 2008.

1. tompouk macrumors newbie

Hi

Here's my situation:

I have a powerful macbook, and an empty dvddriveless powerbook.

empty: without any os, formated drive.

What I want to do: I want to install PPC Tiger from my Intel Macbook dvd drive, to my powerbook drive via target disk mode.

I can't install it from my macbook because it's intel, and I can't boot up the install disk.

Other fact: I can't see my macbook drive while connected via firewire, when I boot my powerbook holding option...

All I want is: Boot my powerbook on the Tiger install disk, that is in my macbook drive.

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I'm obligated to say you should have searched for this :)

However since such a reply is useless when the question IS searched for, I think you can do this by:
    * Boot the Powerbook (PB) in Target disk mode by holding Command+T while powering up (you'll see a big firewire sign to denote disk mode).
    * Connect the PB to the the Macbook (MB) via firewire and verify you can see the disk (I guess you could skip this, it should work correctly).
    * Put the OS install disk in the MB DVD drive.
    * Reboot the MB while holding the Option (Alt) key at power up: this will allow you to choose the OS Install DVD as the startup disk
    * Initiate the install process making VERY sure to choose the PB Firewire disk as the install target drive.

From there you should be done.

It's also worth mentioning that the Target disk mode works for the HDD AND the DVD drive. This means if you wish you could reverse the Target/Master relationship which could also reduce the risk you over-write you MB boot disk.

* Insert the OS Install DVD into the MB DVD drive
    * Reboot the MB and hold Command+T at power up for Target disk mode
    * Connect the PB to the MB via Firewire
    * Boot the PB while pressing the Option key (Alt) until you see the MB HDD and DVD drive icons on the screen as start up disks.
    * Choose the Install DVD and follow the install instructions being VERY careful to choose the PB disk as the target for the install

Good luck.
    JW